Leupold VX-3i 30mm with sf or 1in w/o

Huntet87

I'm pretty set on a VX-3i 4.5-14 with the wind Plex reticle and CDS, but I'm still trying to decide what features and size. The scope is to go on a savage 30-06 and hopefully be shooting out to 700+ (when my skills allow it)

What I'd like to ask is will he extra internal adjustment come into play on that setup? I imagine SF would be a useful tool when shooting at the longer ranges. Oh and I still can decide if the extra height is worth getting the 50mm front objective.

Thanks for any help.

Out to 700 you will have enough adjustment with either model. Especially if you get a canted picatinny rail in say 10moa or 20moa. But even a standard flat base will likely work.

SF gets the parallax corrected which at distance can help you aim more precisely. Might not make a huge difference to most shooters but it is nice to have in my opinion.

50mm vs 40 mainly comes into play with light transmission. A human eye (in most cases) can dilate to 4.2mm to let in as much light as possible. On optics to get the exit diameter of the light it is letting through you take the objective diameter/power setting. Example 10x42 binos--> 42/10=4.2mm. So those bino's are transmitting as much light as your eye can accept.

The bigger the bell on the scope, the more light it can allow through to your eye, the higher the power you can use at dusk. You just have to decide if the bigger size and weight are worth the light transmission and make a compromise from there.

I have the 40 mm and 50's. Only advantage to the smaller objectives is they fit better in scabbards and don't sit as high.

Comes down to what you prefer, I have both and prefer the 50mm over the 40mm

Thanks for the solid input guys. I had decided on the VX-#i 4.5-14 30mm with windplex and CDS....

Then I went to DNZ to order my Game Reaper only to find that it isn't available in my configuration.

So now I need to find a different mount/ring setup or go with the 1 inch tube, as that is available.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.