Leupold VX-3 help

DirtySouth85

My dad has offered this scope to me for $300. It has Target turrets, and I believe is 6x20 but am not positive. Will check tomorrow.

I know it's a great price, but what I want to know is how good of a scope is this?

How easy it is to operate as far as the turrets and how true they are to adjustments?

I've heard great things about the Vortex Vipers, and if they are better scopes I may sell the Leupold and buy one of those.

Any help/opinions from actual users would be greatly appreciated.

I have one but mine is a 6.5 x 20 x 50 AO with target turrets. It's well worth 300 bucks so long as it wasn't used for a baseball bat.

I prefer side focus/parallelax. The VX3 (I have) is AO (front focus/parallelax). Fine for bench rest, not fime for field work.

I'll take a Leupold over a Vortex because the Leupold is made here, well assembled here and Leupold and Stevens customer service is next to none.

Your second hand VX3 has the same guarantee as when the original owner owned it. For life.

The Vortex could be assembled here, I'm not familiar with them.

if it's one of the new vx-3 line, it's a decent scope. if it's one of the older vx-111, you're right. sell it and get something else. if it has the AO adjustment on the front, definitely get something else.

if it's one of the new vx-3 line, it's a decent scope. if it's one of the older vx-111, you're right. sell it and get something else. if it has the AO adjustment on the front, definitely get something else.

The newer VX3's come in side focus and AO I believe because mine is a year old. The AO extended turret fine duplex is the benchrest model.

If I remember correctly, it was around 6 new from Champion Shooters Supply.

AO is not the cat's meow for field work, but I've used mine in the woods. Just a matter of ranging beforehand and setting the AO for parallelax, Not good at all for a pop-up shot. Mine still has the vari-power ring in front of the eyepiece.

the older Leupold AO adjustments were flat out terrible. i had one that would change the POI 2" at 100 yards. bench shooters used to glue them in one place so they wouldn't move around. the side focus is simply a better design and has less weight out on the end which can increase scope flex on recoil.

Mine isn't bad and I'm typically shooting at 100 yards with it anyway. Thats typical to a certain extent for any second focal plane scope.

I'm dialing and zeroing at 100 yards and staying there in benchrest comp. The AO works fine for that. I agree the side focus is the way to go, side focus, first focal plane but you can't touch a FFP side focus scope of good quality for 3 times what his dad is asking for the AO.

A second focal plane side focus 4.5x16x50 Leupold Mark 4 is over a grand everyday, everywhere. I believe the Mark 4 FFP is over $1500.00 (depending on reticle).

300 for a VX3 AO is still a good price for a scope thats still under warranty and will do just about anything within reason, just not as conveniently as a SF scope will.

I have two of them. One had to be repaired by the factory due to tracking issues. Except for that, they both work fine. I use them on my target/varmint rigs. I think the AO is cumbersome for general hunting use. I much prefer a side knob.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.