Help with parallax - Leupold VX-6 3-18x50

MartinR

Hello.
Looking for a little help/understanding with my new leupold VX-6 scope.
Just got the scope - it is my 3rd leupold scope, but my first with adjustable parallax.

My question is this:
On the left-side dial for the parallax, there is both a white marking line on the dial as well as a smaller white marking point on the scope tube it-self. See attached pic.

What are these 2 markings are for?

Is the small white marker the one that indicates the actual/current parallax setting?
Is the larger white marking line an indicator for the factoty setting? (I know the factory-setting is supposed to be 150 yards)
There is a single screwhole on the dial, but when loosening the screw, I am still unable to turn the dial, as it is possible with the 2 other dials on the scope. Can the factory-setting be changed, somehow.
What is the screwhole for?

Hope you guys can help me

Martin

Attachments

• leupold vx-6.jpg
    leupold vx-6.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 495
It's exciting to get a new piece of equipment . Take a little time to read the manual that came with it . The small line on the body of the scope is the one that tells you what your current setting is the larger white line on the knob tells you that you are set at 150 yards currently if you move it to line up with small white line .

Thanks DSheetz. Read the manual more than once, but it does not describe this specific part.
Yout answer is pretty much what I also assumed.
Can the factory setting be changed in some way?

Yes look at it and you can see that there are two parts to the knob an inner ring with the yardage markings and the outer part with the longer line on it . It's not friendly to us with big fingers the set screw keeps them moving together or independently don't over tighten it or you may make ridges with it that cause binding when it is loosened .

You my find that it is nearly the same as the elevation adjustment if that helps you .

Thanks.

Received an email-answer from Leupod:
"The shorter witness mark on the scope body is your current parallax setting. The white line for 150 yards is the recommend setting and doesn't change. The screw is used in assembly and does not make changes to the illumination and or side focus and should not be adjusted."

What's up with a "recomended parallax setting" ?
Dont you just set it to the distance you are actually shooting?

Is the "recomended" setting just for people that dont want to or know how to adjust parallax

I'm not sure I just got the same reply from them maybe they think that's the average shot range .

Hello.
Looking for a little help/understanding with my new leupold VX-6 scope.
Just got the scope - it is my 3rd leupold scope, but my first with adjustable parallax.

My question is this:
On the left-side dial for the parallax, there is both a white marking line on the dial as well as a smaller white marking point on the scope tube it-self. See attached pic.

What are these 2 markings are for?

Is the small white marker the one that indicates the actual/current parallax setting?
Is the larger white marking line an indicator for the factoty setting? (I know the factory-setting is supposed to be 150 yards)
There is a single screwhole on the dial, but when loosening the screw, I am still unable to turn the dial, as it is possible with the 2 other dials on the scope. Can the factory-setting be changed, somehow.
What is the screwhole for?

Hope you guys can help me

Martin

I bought a Leupold scope 3 years ago that was my first with a parallax dial and I had questions about adjusting it. I found some instructive videos on YouTube that were very helpful (as I recall they were made by Leupold). There might also be some at the Leupold site. I have had other Leupold scopes over the last 40 years. My experience asking questions by emailing Leupold has been mixed. Sometimes I get a very terse reply that seems to assume that I am already an expert on the subject. That was the case with the parallax dial question. The videos were more helpful.

I would just ignore the lines. You really need to set the parallax and focus for the range to target you're at before making shots. If it's in focus, move your head about a half inch up/down, left/right, without moving the rifle. If the reticle moves around at POA, you're not set correctly on parallax.
Those lines are not really telling you anything specific except "more or less".

I would just ignore the lines. You really need to set the parallax and focus for the range to target you're at before making shots. If it's in focus, move your head about a half inch up/down, left/right, without moving the rifle. If the reticle moves around at POA, you're not set correctly on parallax.
Those lines are not really telling you anything specific except "more or less".

"More or Less" is my experience also. The numbers printed on the scope don't usually match the target range when dialing out the parallax error. For example, place the target 100 yds from you and then set the parallax on the scope to the 100 number, but you notice the reticle moves when you move you head. Now adjust the parallax until the reticle does not move on the target when you move your head and look at the number printed on the scope again. Bet it does not line up with the 100 mark as it should. I've never figured out how to get the number printed on the scope to be the correct range when parallax is eliminated. Tried adjusting the focus eyepiece and it didn't help to align the parallax scope number with the actual target distance.

Here's a good video about how parallax works inside your scope.

Most all Large rifle scope parallax was set to 150 yards before they started making Adjustable parallax.
Small rifle scopes were set to 75 yards.{22lr} That line at 150 is a good place to keep the adjustment for quick shots at shorter ranges.

Don,t pay any attention to the markings. Set the scope at a medium to lower power and pick a target at the range you will be shooting. With the rifle rested slowly turn the dial while moving your eye horizontally. When the crosshairs stop moving on the target your parralex is set correctly for that range. If you are using the upper power range I do not worry about it. The exit pupil is so small it won,t make any difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.