Leupold Scopes???

S

Simon

Hi Guys, I am in the market for a good quality scope and am considering a Leupold. My gunsmith has indicated that he has had bad experience with quality, has anybody had similar poor experiences or has he just been unlucky????

Now wait guys, let me first kick off my shoes, get a beer and some jerky and sit back so that I can enjoy the show!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just an unlucky coincidence. Even if he did have a bad experience, he could have sent the scope back and they would've fixed it for free. Leupy's are very hard to beat for quality and price. Plus they're made right here in the good ol' US of A. Buy one, you'll like it.

I'll agree w/300 on this one. I have 3 and love everyone of them. I had been thinking about a NF, until I looked through one this past weekend. I looked through it side by side w/my Leupy, and I'll keep my Leupy!!!!

I have owned Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, and Nightforce. Hard to beat S&B with Swarovski close behind for optical brilliance. The current line of Nightforce NXS is still my favorite for several reasons.

I have Leupold on several rifles and I like them. They are good scopes for the money. I have had problems with a couple of Leupolds, but they have a lifetime warranty and Leupold will fix about anything for free. Their turn around time is really fast. If I was looking for something for long range hunting and didn't want to spring for a NXS, U.S. Optics, or the like, I would get a Vari X-II in the magnification of choice and send it off to Premier Reticles for a custom reticle and a target turret for elevation. For a few bucks more a Mark IV with a custom reticle would rock.

I have a couple of leupolds and I love them. Only once did one let me down. It was a VX-III 3-9 and the ajustments weren't working. So I took it off the rifle and sent it in to leupold. About 1 week later I got a call saying they got it and they were working on it. When I got it back about a week later the letter said that they didn't find any problems bit they replaced the working mechanismn and re-gassed the scope. So I went to the closet and got the rifle out to put the scope back on it and THE SCOPE WAS ON THE RIFLE. (I sent in the wrong one) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So I took the one that was actually broken and sent it in and they got it and fixed it and sent it back without any sort of complaint about sending two in in a couple weeks.

i once took one of those falls where i unintentionally used the gun to cussion my fall. after that i couldn't hold POI so i sent it back and they fixed/returned it at no charge.that was over 30 yrs ago.i've owned several more and are my scope of choice.if your smith has heard of quality problems,he would be the first i've ever heard say that.does he sell a different brand?

Leupolds are a solid choice for all the reasons that have been enumerated already.

That being said I want to tell about another scope that is doing good . That is the Nikon 4.5 x 14 x 40 buckmaster with side parallax adjustment. After using not one but two on centerfire and muzzleloader I can attest that they quality is there. Tracking is spot on , brightness is at least on par with the comparable Leupolds ( several that have looked throught them have chosen the Nikon over the Leupold . Also the Nikon has rev counter markings , a feature that the Leupold that is the closest comparable scope does not have.

I have and like all 10 of my Leupolds , but mark this .... Nikon is coming on strong and as far as I'm concerned that is a good thing . I feel like Leupold hass been riding on it 's rep too long and need s to step up to the plate with better scopes at a realistic price .

Jim

I know a lot les than these other gus, but I do know this. I have been scope shopping for myt .300win and I looked at a Leupold VXIII 3.5X10X50 for the first time last weekend. It was by far the most superior scope I have ever held to my eye. My mind is made that is the scope I will buy.

Elwood,
Our No.1 Leupold hater is obviously not back from Scotland yet, or maybe he is still looking for his satelite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This post to him, Will be like a red rag to a bull! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Watch this space.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Yes that's right, Pete is still in Scotland - he wont be back before he has found the satellite or eradicated Scotland's roe population, whatever happens sooner...

Cant wait to read his response to this thread!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm German, actually. I live just around the corner of Pete's and he is building me a rifle at the moment (when he is not out hunting or fooling around with satellites!). If only McMillan was getting a move on with the stock.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I translated his website into German and hope to get Pete to teach me some long range basics. So far I havent managed to scare the deer away far enough to present a long range shot but I am working on it.

Cheers,

elwood.

Elwood,
I am actually Half German, my mother comes from Celle near Hannover.
As i told Pete i have visited your area with the sports twinning society, a lot to talk about, shoot me an E-mail, my address is under my profile, i look forward to hearing from you.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
PS. How was my German i have not written any for over 15 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.