Leupold Scopes???

Hannover is not too far from my place, I have a couple of relatives there. Your German is still quite alright after 15 years of absence - well done! Glad I never had to learn German - it's probably the most complex language there is...

Will shoot you an email for the rest.

Cheers,

elwood.

Thanks guys, I have just bought a Meopta Artemis 3000 instead. I believe its a good scope. Any comments????

SIMON
You have in my opinion purchased just about the best value for money brand of scope on the market. I have a plain 6x42 on my Tikka 6.5x55 and it has put plenty of venison in the freezer. I also own 2 VX111 Leupolds and a Bausch and Lomb and optically in my opinion the Meopta is as good.I have also found their customer service excellent.

As in many things a certain amount of snobbery exists in scope selection and "BADGES" mean a lot to some.But rest assured for the money you have spent you have bought well.

Just my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PS Are you USA?

I agree with JIMM. Only have 2 Leo's. But after spending allot of time looking thru most available scopes for my new 7mm, I settled on the Nikon Monarch. To my eyes it simply gave the best image period. It too has a full lifetime warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Simon,

Everything BRIT said is right.

Living in CZ I get to see and play with quite a few Meoptas. I also know a couple of people from the Meopta factory.

If they are limited in any way it is because they make very good hunting scopes, with very good optics for low light hunting, a lot of stand hunting is done here trying to get dealers to stock high magnification scopes is a problem with hunters where 12x is real high magnification. The military ZD line goes from a fixed 6x to 3-12x50 (56) variable. The "tactical" 4-16 x44 is a step in the right direction but the line lacks something in the plus 6-24 magnification range.

David.

Hi Brit, thanks for the info, the one I have is a 3-9 and I will be putting it on a custom Rem 700 with a Walther Barrel and McMillan stock in 308 win. I am in South Africa, although Brit born, came out here when I was 18 months old.
I have always had good experience with Czech equipment such as the Brno rifles, and I have a custom built 7x57 on a VZ24 action that works a treat. Whats the hunting like in the UK?

SIMON
The Czechs are certainly no fools when it comes to engineering and manufacture. They were after all the workshop of the Soviet military.Also any gun lover will know of the superb BREN which was a joint British Czech design.All they lacked was investment and access to western manufacturing techniques.VW were quick to realise this potential and transformed the once joke Skoda brand into a car manufacturer arguably better than their parent company.

My only gripe with early Meopta scopes were that the reticule on the variables was in the first focal plane and therefore got bigger when you crancked the power up. I think they have a model now with the reticle in the second focal plane.
I did have to return my Meopta for repair when the scope "fogged" internally.It was six years old and i would have forgiven any brand for letting in moisture after the abuse it has suffered on my Scottish stalking trips.A brand new one was sent by carrier to my door with no questions asked.That we like.

The hunting in UK is excellent,it is the power crazed,pen pushing,small penised,little Hitler bastards that run the UK that are the problem.
Our seasons are great,for example,i can if i wish to,shoot Roe all year round in Scotland.I choose not to shoot doe`s in March because they are heavily pregnant and i find it unpleasent gralloching(gutting)them.
I will be in Perthshire for 4 days later this week hunting Fallow Bucks and Roe doe`s.Hope to have some good photo`s to post.
I imagine our hunting to be very mundane in comparison to RSA.Tell us something about it and also about your freedoms or lack of them to own firearms.

BRIT.

Brit,
No matter what VW do to Skoda, they will always be a joke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(if his wife did not drive one he would not be praising them)

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Pete should be back in Krautland, unless his ferry sank...

We(myself and the welshman JB) met up with Pete and his German crew Friday night at their 'hunting lodge' just north of Langholm here, near Ettrick..Had a hell of a good time, talked a lot of shite in 2-3 languages, we were all speaking fluent drunkenese by the end of the night....Brought some toys for us to drool over..good stuff..

I'm originally from the states, where Loopies are king..After moving here and playing with the european optics and the NXS, will probably not buy another leupold rifle scope..We do a lot of night shooting, and I wouldn't be caught out with a dim scope..

I think Leupold has been experiencing some bad years, because the quality the last couple years has been less than what I'm accustomed to..They need to start taking notes on what the rest of the world shoots, because selling solely on your name or the fact it's Made in the US of A is going to bite you right in the butt..That's the impression I get..Maybe they send the rejects to the UK..I hear their scope return service is still good...

My main problem with Loopies is with a lot of their scopes, you don't get a full picture of light at high magnification..looking thru the shrinking exit pupil, and that's mid day, let alone dusk, or night time shooting with a lamp...You do with an NXS, you do with a S&B..You get full picture at all magnification, with clarity, in all light conditions...If they need to go to larger tubes or larger objectives, they need to do it..

That's just MHO, based on limited Leupold usage here in this country..No offense to anyone owning a loopie who loves 'em, I have a cabinet full of rifles fitted with loopies back in the states and have had very good success with them, don't intend to sell them all off..Clicks very positive, and are very clear, hard scopes..Just not as nice as the NXS..

JR

OUCH!
Remember i drive a Freelander mate,anything is an improvement after that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Skoda is the most reliable car we own.(****,we also run a Freelander). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NICK.

JR

I have spent many happy nights in the Mosspaul Hotel just up the A7 from you. I am stalking up near Fort William now but have many happy memories of your area.

My VX111 6.5X20X50 will be having its first stalking trip on Thursday, shooting Fallow Prickets near Perth, so i will be able to make a more informed conclusion. The proof of the pudding is,as they say,in the eating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will be interesting to compare my Leupold with the 6x24x50 Swarovski on my mates rifle when we are in the field.

Will also be taking my 6.5 resplendent with its Meopta 6X42 in case anything should go `tits up`.

NICK.

Ian,

I drive a Skoda.... that way I can afford an RPA rifle and S&B optics, just a matter of getting priorities right.

David

ds,
good valid point, i am just running through my head, wether i could bear the stigma of having a Skoda parked on my drive knowing i had a custom rifle in my safe which no-one could see?

No contest mate the stigma wins.

BUT, i have the custom rifle in my safe and the nice car on the drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif(i am not going to tell you what is, so you cant take the **** out of me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Nick,

Aye, mosspaul's just up the road, nice pub meal there..stalking near Ft Bill eh? Probably not the best scenery at the moment, rain falling like mad cat **** in this part of the country..horizontal rain off Eskdalemuir at the moment..probably won't get much better Perthshire way, not this week...good test for the loopie, you'll wish they included windscreen wipers for the objective..

Glad you didn't take too much offense to the previous response, I don't want to put anyone off Loopie, (am nitpicking at details concerning my observations and shooting applications), because they are good product overall, and the price is pretty **** good in the UK at the moment..

JR

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.