Leupold Rings

Waffen

In my prepration of mounting a 8.5-25x50 Leupold VXIII I was wondering what size "leupold standard" ring to use to mount this. I am trying to clear the barrel of a Remington 700 Sendero. I was under the impression a "high" mount would work, but does anyone know for sure?

Dependent on wether or not there is much taper to the bbl you may be able to get by with a medium ring as long as it is a 30mm tube scope. Anything 1" tube with 50mm obj pretty much guarantees high rings

steve

I just put that scope on my 700 BDL Varmint & used High rings. The barrel dia. is 1.235" at the chamber. At the point where the Objective clears the barrel by .185" the barrel dia. is .995"

I hope that makes sence!!

My set up is with Leupold Dual Dovetail rings, but standard rings should measure out the same...., height wise.

Right on Hired Gun..., great info!!
That is how I ended up with the High Rings for my 700 BDL Varmint. The high rings worked out perfectly for me as far as line of sight goes with my stock BDL comb. Problem is that Leupolds "Mount Selector" does not distinguish between "Sporter, "Varmint, and/or Heavy Barre contours" for those who want a "low as possible" set up!! Some shooters are willing to sacrifice "Optimum line of sight" for "low as possible" optic mounting hoping to squeeze out the last possible drop of accuracy as related to the mounting of their Optic!
If I was a "low as possible" kinda'guy (Which I used to be.., but now I opt for comfort!!!) I could probably have gotten away with Medium Height rings with my set-up, but I don't know that for sure. I do know however that the "Low" 30mm DD rings I had luying around from days gone by did not allow enough clearance for my VX-III 8.5-25x50mm LRT !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In my prepration of mounting a 8.5-25x50 Leupold VXIII I was wondering what size "leupold standard" ring to use to mount this. I am trying to clear the barrel of a Remington 700 Sendero. I was under the impression a "high" mount would work, but does anyone know for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh.., I forgot..., Go "Dual Dovetail" rather than standard!! You'll love it!! The only down side is after doing so..., you'll want to up-grade $$ the rest of your rifles to DD!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

burrisringsxt7.jpg

With the same scope I used the Leupold DD with the Burris High ring. On my Accumark I have right at 1/8 of clearance at the closest point. I could have slid it ahead just a bit more and gained more clearance. I'm thinking the same setup on the Sendero would put that scope as low as your going to want to get it. It will be very close.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.