Leupold Duel Dovetail Rings

tlshootst

I have a Model 70 short action, sporter weight barrel in 308. I have a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40mm, 30mm tube I want to put on this rifle. I used the Leupold Mount Finder page on their website. In the scope selection I entered a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 30mm tube. I have one of those also, laying beside the Burris its very close to the same size. The Mount Finder menu tells me to go with the medium rings. I like a scope mounted low as possible. Looking at the scope and rifle I would think I could go with the low rings. Any one have a Winchester Model 70 set up like this? I hate to order the mediums if the lows would work.

I have a mod 70 long action # 5 benchmark barrel with the Low 30mm dual dove tails and I'm running a vortex 6.5-20x44 in them and it's perfect.

What bases?

I have 3 sets of Leupold DD bases for the Weatherby Mark V, and every set is machined with the hole off-center. I can't even mix and match them to get a good set. That's useless when you have a non-adjustable DD setup.

I used to sell Leupold in a former life. The mount finder is setup to be 'safe'. More so when rear sights come into play and avoiding returns. You should be able to run the Lows with no problem (assuming these is no rear sight mounted)

I think there are only 1 set of bases offered by Leupold for a short action model 70. Different finish, gloss, matt, and silver are offered.

I think there are only 1 set of bases offered by Leupold for a short action model 70. Different finish, gloss, matt, and silver are offered.

I meant what brand, sorry.

Use a micrometer to measure the bases, and verify that the holes aren't off center like all of mine are. Burris also makes them for Dual Dovetail mounts, and I use those when I can find them to fit my application as so far the center holes on those have been perfectly placed.

You may use whatever brand you want; I would just recommend measuring the hole placement before mounting them. A crooked dual dovetail base setup is useless. In my experience my Leupolds were crooked but Burris were not.

I also use Burris Signature rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts