Leupold Mark 4 poor design

skuna boy

I just purchased what I would consider my first long range scope. Mark 4 6-20x50, brand new. So the scope came in and I got it out of the box and checked it out for a few minutes as soon as I got home. The lines on the sidefocus knob were not matching up so I worked it back and forth and when I rotated counter clockwise I noticed it started to unscrew. I figured that this was just the outer cover of the knob and continued to unscrew it. Then to my disgust, the knob unscrewed to the point of breaking the seal and releasing the gas. I realized that this was stupid of course and at the moment wanted to kick myself directly in the butt for screwing up my new scope. Then I looked through the literature that came with the scope expecting to see something that said..."attention all dummies......do not unscrew the SF!" but nothing. Then I got disappointed that Leupold would make a scope that would do that.

Why would the SF knob not lock into place?

Why not a little warning for dummies like myself?

There should be a stop at both ends of the SF adjustment. It should not come "un glued" no pun intended, by just casually turning the knob. Don't blame yourself unless you got western with it. I'd send it back along with a letter of disgust on how the scope shouldn't be that fragile. Hell, they're supposed to be "tactical" scopes.

Good luck and hopefully quick returns from Leupold:)

Maybe the side focus was tuned to actual field yardage and belonged that way. No reason
to ever put the torque to a focus knob. But Lupy will probably fix it free. They usually do.

no torque was applied really

if they want to charge me, that is fine, but will be the last one I ever own and this about #10.

My experience of Leupold is exactly the opposite. I have several MK4s, VX1, VX2. They all work flawlessly.

Leupold's customer service is also exceptional. Send your scope back to them and they will put it back together or replace it as necessary.

thought about the couterfit deal and checked all the numbers and detailed makes to make sure.
I ordered new from a local guy that is a dealer. It has been sent back to Leupold.

I'm more of a Night Force fan, but I do have one MK 4 and have found it to be good scope. It tracks well, good glass and seems quite solid. You can get a bad one of anything. Leupold has great customer service and will take care of it for you. Still, I know it is no fun to drop that kind of change on a scope and get a dud.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.