Leupold Mark 4 M3 ?

SPEEDY

I have a set of Badger ordnance "standard" rings for my new rifle but I don't know what base to get. I was going to get a Badger ordnance 20moa scope base but I read a few articles on the Leupold Mark 4 M3 that said that it has 20moa cant built into it, and if you mount one on a 20 moa base then you might not be able to zero it.
Does anyone know anything about this and should I get a 20moa or O cant base?

Cheers

I have a set of Badger ordnance "standard" rings for my new rifle but I don't know what base to get. I was going to get a Badger ordnance 20moa scope base but I read a few articles on the Leupold Mark 4 M3 that said that it has 20moa cant built into it, and if you mount one on a 20 moa base then you might not be able to zero it.
Cheers

I own three of the MK4-M3 scopes, and it is true that they have a taper built in.

PRAY that they DON'T have a "cant" built in!!.
"Cant" is a sideways tilt to the scope that causes left/right POI errors that increase with range.

Standard "0" taper bases are required for the MK4-M3. or you may not be able to zero it at 100/200yds.

Cheers

I own a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm M3 and it does not have a built in taper. With my 308 zeroed at 100, I could only get to 800 before runing out of elevation.

I was told that all Mark 4's have a built in taper and bought Badger a 0 Moa base. I have since sold my 0 Moa base and bought a 20 Moa base. I beleive that it's the fixed power M3 scopes that have the built in taper. Someone who own's both may be able to confirm this.

I own both... the MK4-M3 does NOT need a tapered base.
I also own one M3-LR (long range) 3.5-10x, and it DOES need a tapered base.

ALL of the other ones DO need a tapered base. The MK4-M3 is the only one that has a built in taper.

I can't confirm this by personal experience, but I recently bought the same scope (Mark 4 3.5-10x40 LR/T M3) When I bought my Badger base (from Sniper Country PX) I called in my order and discussed this issue with the salesperson. He told me I needed a 20 MOA tapered base for this scope to reach out to 100yd, so that's what I got. Still waiting on the McMillan stock and Mike Rock barrel before I can say if he was right or not. :D

I should have mentioned that the scope I have is the Leupold Mark 4 M3 LR/T 3.5-10X40 with the TMR reticle.

I should have mentioned that the scope I have is the Leupold Mark 4 M3 long range/T 3.5-10X40 with the TMR reticle.

Yup... you should have. Actually, you don't have a MK4-M3.

You have a Mk4 LRT, with a M3 elevation dial.

The MK4-M3 is a unique scope like none other. It shares NOTHING with the other scopes in the line - but some other scopes in the line can be had with the M3 elevation dials from the original M3-LR (long range)... not the MK4-M3, whose dials are also unique to that scope.

You need a tapered base.

Last edited:
Gotta ask, why would a tapered base be 'required' for ANY scope?
Are you saying it won't reach a hundred yard zero without external bias?
Or is this a BDC thing?

never heard of it

Last edited:
Mikecr the 20 MOA is so with a .308 you will be able to reach a 1000 yds with it,because the .308 at lets say 2550 FPS won't have enough elevation in most scope to reach a target at 1000 Yds.A gun that shoots a bullet at 3000 fps with most scope will have a enough elevation to reach a target at 1000 yds. hope this answers your ? Tim

It's been implied here -all the way, that this scope has a 'built in taper'.What would any such taper be w/respect to?

the thread was not about 308 elevation needs

you are missing the point, some scopes have more elevation than others.In this case this scope has a 20 MOA build in to it so you have that much more elevation all ready in the scope, where other scopes don't have that much elevation build in to the scope. The refrance to the .308 was to tell you why some guys will buy that scope. Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.