Leupold Custom Shop update

Hope you're right, I love their past Mk4 scopes.
But I can imagine General Motors parking lot is pretty full (for the moment) as well.
And Leupold IS poorly managed
I agree.

I've worked with Leupold extensively for a few years. They have been making some definite head scratcher decisions over the last 3-5 years at least at the upper management level.

If you pay more & stay clear of college grads, you can build a workforce that cares.
So you would engineer scopes with folks untrained in the math and science for optical design and that would improve your product.

I love a guy who knows how to get stuff done, but also recognize that sometimes skills beyond high school level are required to get it done right.

Maybe I just misunderstood you. Maybe you were talking about a business environment where employees were treated with respect, paid according to their value to the product and mentored/trained/reducated continuously to grow their value to the company??

Leupold has done stupid things for quite a while, driving themselves straight to nearly zero influence over the scope market.
I would be interested in why you think this.

I agree with you btw. A scope is an integrated product for a purpose. Basically when I think of an lrh scope, I think of a scope which is:
-durable enough to be dropped without failing

-turrets are durable, accurate and adjustable in increments which are realistic for a specific range of distances

-reticle that allows use for holds at a specific range of distances

-glass clear enough to see to max effective system range and make good hits

-purpose built where, size, function, features and durability match a single purpose

I don't see this in Leupold's product line. It is almost like they do not have anybody making decisions that is involved in actual shooting. If they did, they would see the gross mismatches between turrets, reticles, durability and the actual use of their product.

On a positive note, the6 are made in the USA by American's.

So you would engineer scopes with folks untrained in the math and science for optical design and that would improve your product.
I love a guy who knows how to get stuff done, but also recognize that sometimes skills beyond high school level are required to get it done right.
It doesn't take college to learn.
If I were an employer, I would rather NOT hire someone wasted away in marxist programming, but instead hire for real potential.

By 'potential' I mean inclinations, perspectives, intelligence, experiences, attitude, character.
I would run employees through purpose built vocational courses for MY company.
As they work their way up to Division Merchandising Manager (by 25yrs old), or chief Leupoldologist (by 30yrs old), it's on me to make sure they're paid well and content with their career path. They would be.

IMO, even high school today is a TOTAL waste of time & potential.
Humanity needs vocational paths that begin way earlier.
By 12yrs old, my son had every 'potential' he has today, less the 18yrs of education beyond. What a waste of his life really.
Now if GE had approached my son early and said "we see programming rock star in you",, "Let's get you out of this 3rd world education system, and put you through General Electric University",, I gotta believe that world turns out better.

Anyway, the biggest flaw from Leupold right now follows their own [competing with themselves].
Abandoning what put them on the map, letting it languish, to chase after trendy markets.
This Discredits their own base, watering down their character, in favor of spreading out as thin as they can.
Every major company I've seen go under in my life, did the same thing. It's the beginning of their end.
Sears did it. They abandoned everything about Sears and then went under. Successfully competing with, and putting themselves out of business. Great job Sears management! Now take your bonuses and go destroy other companies for the progression of red communist China. And thank you Education System, for your production of these monsters in management!

My take is a little different. Sears did not evolve. Leupold has and continues to stick with their roots in some ways, but they still try to tweak things to stimulate the desire to upgrade. They need to appeal to their base by continuing to back their products with outstanding warranties and provide a range of products for a broader market. Not sure what has changed in their management and core values. I haven't personally seen a shift.

It doesn't take college to learn.
If I were an employer, I would rather NOT hire someone wasted away in marxist programming, but instead hire for real potential.

By 'potential' I mean inclinations, perspectives, intelligence, experiences, attitude, character.
I would run employees through purpose built vocational courses for MY company.
As they work their way up to Division Merchandising Manager (by 25yrs old), or chief Leupoldologist (by 30yrs old), it's on me to make sure they're paid well and content with their career path. They would be.

IMO, even high school today is a TOTAL waste of time & potential.
Humanity needs vocational paths that begin way earlier.
By 12yrs old, my son had every 'potential' he has today, less the 18yrs of education beyond. What a waste of his life really.
Now if GE had approached my son early and said "we see programming rock star in you",, "Let's get you out of this 3rd world education system, and put you through General Electric University",, I gotta believe that world turns out better.

Anyway, the biggest flaw from Leupold right now follows their own [competing with themselves].
Abandoning what put them on the map, letting it languish, to chase after trendy markets.
This Discredits their own base, watering down their character, in favor of spreading out as thin as they can.
Every major company I've seen go under in my life, did the same thing. It's the beginning of their end.
Sears did it. They abandoned everything about Sears and then went under. Successfully competing with, and putting themselves out of business. Great job Sears management! Now take your bonuses and go destroy other companies for the progression of red communist China. And thank you Education System, for your production of these monsters in management!
I guess I missed your depth in the original answer. Who knew a person driven to get an optical engineering degree from an ABET accredited school would also be a full communist. Huh.

I would suspect right up front, that a recent college grad HATES all things good or normal.
While that is not always the case, my own son managed to deflect away the Marxist imprinting, it is still a real potential today.
Change my mind

I called Leupold four or more years ago about changing a reticle and was told then that the custom shop was closed and would be for the foreseeable future.
Exactly this! I also called numerous times before the GOV VIRUS. Shutting it down Virus has nor had anything to do with Leupold. As said before I believe it has to do with our schools, gov, public, family indoctrination of kids life is all about college college smart paper on wall. We need the real shop classes back and skilled workers not paper pushers looking out their window over the parking lot.
Leupold makes a great product with a great warranty. They will be around for generations to come.

I would suspect right up front, that a recent college grad HATES all things good or normal.
While that is not always the case, my own son managed to deflect away the Marxist imprinting, it is still a real potential today.
Change my mind
It seems like we have strayed too far off topic to respond.

Update*
I spoke to an acquaintance last evening. She lives in Oregon and works for the above mentioned company. Leupold is working to replenish inventories as well as update products, per their words at shot. The custom shop info that is being shared via customer service is to not give a timeline and be vague out of caution since they do not have a target date for a return to full service. I was assured that they will return to offering custom services. Right now, those resources are better suited elsewhere within the company.

I did share this thread with her. We both had a laugh.