Leupold CDS Turret

Greg Duerr

Was looking into getting a Leupold CDS Turret installed on my Var III

Could not get an answer from Leupold that gave me a clear understanding of the Turret.

Im looking at not having a custom one made up but just having a generic installed. I hunt at 1500ft up to 10,000ft.

Does anyone know if it has the ability to be set back to a 0 marked on the Turret or a 0 setback so I can dial in from 0 once I have sighted in at 100 or 200.

Does anyone have one that would know for sure?

Could not get an answer from Leupold that gave me a clear understanding of the Turret.

Im looking at not having a custom one made up but just having a generic installed. I hunt at 1500ft up to 10,000ft.

Does anyone know if it has the ability to be set back to a 0 marked on the Turret or a 0 setback so I can dial in from 0 once I have sighted in at 100 or 200.

The scope in my last post to the following thread initially had the CDS.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...regarding-range-finder-custom-turrets-138175/

The CDS was replaced with the tall turret to allow for a field expedient method to produce an accurate drop turret according to current atmospheric conditions.

Something to consider if this system could work for you.

I'm looking at not having a custom one made up but just having a generic installed. I hunt at 1500ft up to 10,000ft.

Greg,

Got a VX-6 custom elevation turret from Leupold. Gave them my exact ballistics (.30-06, Barnes 168TSX custom loads, 2907fps, exact dopes from 100 to 600 yds...etc.) with a Zero set at 100yds! Turret came set from 100-800yds. I set my custom dial to 600yds and hit the X-Ring (3" center) for a .50 MOA accuracy! Set it back to 100 yds for a perfect re-zero! If you are using factory ammo that shoots accurately for you (tight groups), just submit the mnf. ballistics Leupold ask for to create a "generic dial" that should work well for you.

Now, my dial was built with a temp of 86deg at sea level (got my dopes in the deep south during summer). However, any lower hunting temps (denser air) will be offset by higher altitudes (thinner air), so just have to make minor elevation corrections accordingly!

Hope this helps,

Ted

Are you asking if the cap can be removed and reset to "0" once you get it zeroed?

If so, then yes, there are three set screws that you loosen and then rotate the cap to wherever the "0" lines up with the tick mark. Then you're good to go.

I only have one of these, it's a very nice scope and tracks great. However I've begun buying more Vortex as of lately, for not real reason other than I like their features and feel they are a great value.

I'm going to have Leupold install a Generic CDS on my Var III 4.5-14 Right now..............................500 yards seems like a long long shot...................I've mentioned it before but with over 30 deer I have never shot an animal over 200 .......

So just the thought of 300????

My father in law last Deer season in Idaho passed on a huge 4x4 because it was a tad over 345yds......................To long of a shot.

For cheap you can use the tall LR turret and simply dial hash marks. As mentioned, the screws allow you to set it to "0" clicks. If you can find a guy with a cad program, you can make your own. I print mine on a plain paper, then tape the corners of an Avery label, positioning it over the first printing and re print. I use an old Laserjet because it doesn't use "ink" and the printing is waterproof. Just remember to measure the turret dia with a label on it to get the correct measurement.
You can also simply attach an Avery label to the turret and use a pen or sharpie to make your own yardage tape. Lots of choices...

Attachments

• IMG_0602 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0602 (Medium).JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 92

Yes, you can get just a CDS turret engraved with regular MOA marks.

Zero your load, zero the turret, and away you go.

I've complained to them about not supplying the factory turret engraved all the way around in MOA, so you don't have to burn your free dial on one.

Leupold told me that to have the CDS installed with just the MOA, Generic it would cost $89.............................I'v asked a lot of questions all this being totally new to me.

You might be able to buy a standard VX6 turret. Mine came with MOA engraved all the way around...that may be cheaper.
Nope, won't work...the VX-6 is a totally different animal.

And in Leupold's infinite wisdom, they did not design, or have any plans at the present time, to offer target turrets on the VX-6.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.