Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

Theis:
Lets see if I can do this sans the thumbs!!

We have worked up with RWS BMG brass a 375 with a non conventional shoulder design that is giving 3550 with our 361 gr. while using not quite the correct powder. We have a new formulation due here in 30 to 45 days and expect 3600 plus with pressures in the 60,000-61,000 range. Sizes are comparable to what you all are talking about.
We should have a video presentation ready next week showing the forming process.

Alan Warner

Hello,

I look forward to the video presentation in regards to the forming process.

I am probably an anomaly in the ELR world because I do not enjoy reloading in general..especially case work. LOL

To me..if commercial entities believe in their "wildcat" enough then they will have proper brass made. Having proper brass made is essential in terms of International markets and such. Try exporting a rifle and/or ammunition that the cartridge markings on the rifle do not match the ammunition markings and/or try exporting ammunition where the ammunition markings are not the same as the ammunition description on the DSP-5...NIGHTMARE

THEIS

The next logical step above our 585 based case is the 9 x 85 based brass

and still keep it in medium size long actions for target use...

The .690" base work great in MRC PH actions , Stiller and Lawton actions,

Even in my big Enfields. Really shine as target case as a 416, 435, 458,

even better than smaller, with right bullets. Once we have cases, then

secret is the upgrade of the bullets to match what has been done for 375s.

And have them with the Ginex 6,53-0.70 primers.. Ed

Last edited:
The 9 x 85 MEN case with a little work should come out with 211 capacity. There may be more in there.

The 9 x 85 MEN case with a little work should come out with 211 capacity. There may be more in there.

Hello,

I may start with the x90 case since I am not trying to keep cartridge confined to cheytac size action. We already running switchbarrel bmg sized actions and are currently "lengthening" our receiver, bolt and mag to accommodate 6.5" OAL.

THEIS

The 9x90 makes sense - if there was good brass - since the rim approximates the .50 BMG-based family. However, the 9mm is the issue since there are no ELR bullets in that caliber (best I know). So the brass would need to come in 9x90 then get resized (presumably up to .375).

The 9x85 makes no sense (to me) since the rim is .690 while the CTs are .640. That would require the enlargement of the bolt face. No what I'd prefer, especially when some of the bolts have limited side support as is and adding .050 would make it worse.

THEIS - please provide a pic of the 9x90 beside the .416 Barrett and the .50 BMG. What is the "factory" case capacity of the 9x90? Thanks.

The 9x85 makes no sense (to me) since the rim is .690 while the CTs are .640. That would require the enlargement of the bolt face. No what I'd prefer, especially when some of the bolts have limited side support as is and adding .050 would make it worse.

Hello,
That is why Dave had the VM rim done at .680 because it was largest he felt the Lawton 8000 series action could be opened up to safely.
.690 would be scary thin side support on some of the CT sized actions.

THEIS

Hello,

Here is another picture I found showing L to R the 9x90, 9x85 and 9x77 MEN cartridges.

THEIS

Attachments

• 9mmGerman.jpg
    9mmGerman.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 56
Yes, CT long brass exists and is available, you can have it by the barrel full just like any other brass case , The 375 Warlord has been redesigned for full benefit off the "long" CT brass, no need to change anything on rifles other than a deeper chamber cut for brass that has been tested in excess of 70 k psi and offers a lot more capacity with no other changes to rifle system, my reamer is being modified to the new improved design

Recent Posts