Lets Discuss “Range Etiquette” for a moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shoot every weekend. Our range has experienced competitive shooters as well as newbies. I will definitely help people that need it. There is great comradery. There are shooters that compete in all disciplines including international shoots. I don't know any who are stiff necked as depicted. Be friendly and help people who need it. You may developed a shooting friend

So many of us are pretty dedicated in the art of not only proper shooting form but also building our own precision loads tuned for our rifles. Many hours is spent in the reloading room with the built up excitement at the next chance to try this stuff out on the range. Over the years I have seen some stupid things that make me realize some people could care less about us load testers or anyone else for that matter! So here are a few things that I absolutely hate and please chime in with what u have experienced! New guys read this and DO NOT DO IT!
1. If the range is wide open except for one person who happens to have a little blue reloading box open with nice neat rows of 5 rounds staggered with gaps between them to carefully keep his loads separated, wearing a can with a magnetospeed mounted to it, KEEP your distance with your stupid AR and refrain from pelting him with brass.
2. As mentioned before he has a can and is not wearing hearing protection so do not come to the next stall away from him carefully lining up your tank break on your 6.5 creedmoor with his face.
3. Do not talk to this guy unless he first talks to u. This is not the barber shop and serious business is taking place.
4. If the rifle he has looks nice and expensive, well it prolly is. If u want to know more about it, use google.
5. Use your 30x powered scope with 2 foot sunshade on it to check your groups. U don't need to go down after every 5 rounds to look at your target. And most importantly don't ask that guy that is mentioned on the first 4 do not do items if he can check your target for u cause u can't see your shots!
6. Lastly and most importantly don't ask for help zeroing your scope because u are trying to do it at 200 yds and not at 25 or 50 yds like normal experienced shooters. Also don't ask for Allen wrench set or tools cause u are to stupid to bring what u need to the range!

I know I forgot some things, help me out fellows on your DO NOT LIST while u are at the range!

My big one is Bureaucracy. When I was younger, we shooters ran the range. We called cold and hot. It wasn't even that we all knew each other. We simply knew universal range etiquette. Now because Billy Bob "AR" Clampett and all his inbred ignorant, "I got a trophy for waking up today" are incapable of acting like adults, we have more rules, regs and RANGE OFFICERS than we have shooters.

Frankly, I so tired of the stress of having a 26-year old RSO inspect my rifle or stand behind me when I'm shooting that I joined a 100% private range.

All of this is because of that guy and his friends who have the Panzer Tank breaks and the $79 30x scopes on their $450 "custom ARs" and wouldn't know a cold range from a cold sandwich.

Venting!!!

The lurking brass scavengers drive me nuts!
At the public range that I go to Brass scavenging if strictly forbidden, you can keep what you shoot,of course, you can only scavenge Brass if it's given too you. Too many problems of people taking the other guys Brass because it's on the floor,

I'm hoping the original post is more of a rant & I get it but I guess I'm lucky that when I still went to the public ranges I couldn't shoot good enough to be irritated and didn't have anything nice enough that anyone would have asked. Fast forward a few years and I'm lucky that I'm part of a private club where 90% of the time it is just me and my guests shooting BUT when there are others there I have yet to experience AR15 brass raining upon me, unsafe cold range, or inconsiderate members. Our range rules require ears on regardless if you are shooting suppressed or not and most of the muzzle brake guys make sure the font is out past the firing line and try to make sure there is a bench or two between others. The biggest problem is in fact getting to the range and actually getting my range work in and not talking to much to the old timers either about the rifles they brought or how they reload for them. I try to be as cool to others who haven't made it as far down the long range / reloading rabbit hole as I have because with out new people passing it on shootings sports will not exist eventually, especially with the politics as they are. I've had guys offer to spot when I was having problems at range and step in to help wo/asking when my gear (range finder) wasn't up to snuff. Most of the time there are offers to shoot whatever is on the line from whoever is there. Best group I ever shot was with a gun & ammo provided by that guy with the super cool gun at the end doing load work up. (.17 5 shot group with a 6BR, will never forget that) We need as many people thinking the old Honda advertisement "You meet the nicest people at the range" instead of on a Honda. :) This has been my experience at the three ranges I've visited over the last few years.

My thought process is I expect selfish idiots everywhere I go, through example I try to teach them there is a different way to act. Probably doesn't stick 99% of the time but I'm going to keep trying because that way I don't end up irritated and upset with a gun in my hand. :)

I am both the precision load tester and the guy with the stupid AR. I am not however they guy who allows his actions to interfere with anyone else at any time. I no longer use the public range. I have cashed in my life savings to purchase land and build my own. I no longer use a public range for all the reasons you have described above. Both the ornery people who think the public range should offer everything they think should and shouldn't be happening, as well as the rude, dangerous, disrespectful range commando's in the lane next to you. My wife has a 22 burn in her butt crack cause of a moron with a 10/22 that was doing mag dumps rite next to us, years ago. When we go into public we must deal with everyone in it. And all their dumb BS. Which is why I rarely venture out into public for anything other then work. Range etiquette as well as societal etiquette was not taught to offspring for two generations. Kids that were never spanked and were given a trophy just for showing up, has consequences.
Your 100% right on the social etiquette thing. I stay out of all public situations at all costs!

I'm hoping the original post is more of a rant & I get it but I guess I'm lucky that when I still went to the public ranges I couldn't shoot good enough to be irritated and didn't have anything nice enough that anyone would have asked. Fast forward a few years and I'm lucky that I'm part of a private club where 90% of the time it is just me and my guests shooting BUT when there are others there I have yet to experience AR15 brass raining upon me, unsafe cold range, or inconsiderate members. Our range rules require ears on regardless if you are shooting suppressed or not and most of the muzzle brake guys make sure the font is out past the firing line and try to make sure there is a bench or two between others. The biggest problem is in fact getting to the range and actually getting my range work in and not talking to much to the old timers either about the rifles they brought or how they reload for them. I try to be as cool to others who haven't made it as far down the long range / reloading rabbit hole as I have because with out new people passing it on shootings sports will not exist eventually, especially with the politics as they are. I've had guys offer to spot when I was having problems at range and step in to help wo/asking when my gear (range finder) wasn't up to snuff. Most of the time there are offers to shoot whatever is on the line from whoever is there. Best group I ever shot was with a gun & ammo provided by that guy with the super cool gun at the end doing load work up. (.17 5 shot group with a 6BR, will never forget that) We need as many people thinking the old Honda advertisement "You meet the nicest people at the range" instead of on a Honda. :) This has been my experience at the three ranges I've visited over the last few years.

My thought process is I expect selfish idiots everywhere I go, through example I try to teach them there is a different way to act. Probably doesn't stick 99% of the time but I'm going to keep trying because that way I don't end up irritated and upset with a gun in my hand. :)

Well said

Oh yeah forgot, this guy is running a can and u have been thinking about getting one! DONT ask him how do U get one and how long is the wait and what kinda of can you should get! Again when u are googling his rifle search for that also! He don't care!
Well,
I think we are a more friendly group wereI shoot, we always try to help others out, and discussing Scopes and Rifles and do fourth is quite normal to us.Just not when your actually testing loads though.
If someone is having issues zeroing a Rifle, one of us will certainly help achieve that aim.
Many shooters and those who are new to the Art, do not have the experience level the rest of us do.
We should encourage people to shoot and take up the sports, being helpful is a great way of doing that.

LMAO!! Some of these people don't know what the top or bottom of the hour is!!!!

BW

Let's not forget the arrogance of our own group sometimes. If the range doesn't offer a muzzle brake shooter's section as they should, then take the brake off. "But that'll mean that blah, blah, blah." Who am I to say that? Just someone who tries to see both sides of an issue. :)

I have belonged to private ranges for over 25 years. I always allow an extra 2 hours to do range business along with my shooting. I was on the range board for 24 years and have learned over time that no matter how many copies of range rules new members get, the signs posted on the ranges that they have read, and they passed the range rules test online all common sense goes out the window when the new Whiz-Bang toy comes out. After they have broke the 180 rule several times, left the rifle loaded when they went to change targets, or better yet their buddy starts handling the weapon when someone else goes downrange. I try to go to the range early during the week before the idiot squad gets there so I don't spend all of my time teaching people how to behave at the range. But I will always stop and help someone so no one gets hurt or help a new shooter. I was an idiot once and didn't know better until an old shooter came over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said" let me show you how it's done son". After that I was hooked on shooting all of my life.

All of the problems can be avoided by communication. "Let me finish this string/shoot this string and we'll get you squared away." Reading this thread one starts to wonder how divided this little sect of the community is when it comes to firearms and firearms accessories and the public's access to them. It's easy to see why firearms ownership is in decline if this is the face put forward by the shooting community.

Reading this thread made for a few laughs on Father day. Thanks

I'm retired, the closest town is population 275 but I have two range options where I am a member and the back yard 250 yard steel. I infrequently encounter anyone at the ranges I use during the times I use them.
When I do happen to have someone else show up, the encounters are often positive. Most people see the lab radar, ask a couple questions and figure out I'm serious about what I am doing. I have learned a few interesting things from encounters at the range and have hopefully passed on useful information on occasion.
When a family with kids show up or if on rare occasion something seeks likely to distract or interfere with my time, I just pack up and go home. No problems and no stress helps me enjoy my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.