Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

Here is our new muzzy build, built by Eric at blue mountain precision.
It'll be going to New Mexico for an elk hunt in couple weeks. It'll be running a revic iron sight.

Attachments

• 2DE74382-55F8-4A71-B985-A534050D0582.jpeg
    2DE74382-55F8-4A71-B985-A534050D0582.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
  • EBC5F07F-EB70-45D1-9C34-204EAE4B27B9.jpeg
    EBC5F07F-EB70-45D1-9C34-204EAE4B27B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Looking great!! I always wonder if we take cold bore shot the wrong way. Is it cold bore dynamics or cold shoulder dynamics? Probably need a laboratory to actually find out. Seems like I get better as I shoot. Or is it the gun?
Cold bore for me was that I just haven't shot this gun in weeks. Temp was about 60°. So my cold bore was just first shot.

How do you find pressure in a smokeless? I'm new to it and my smokeless will be here in 2 weeks roughly. i know my smith has some known loads which is obviously where I'll start but let's say you try a new powder. I'd asaume an under charge of a muzzleloader is fine as long as the slug leaves the muzzle, but how do you determine your max charges? I'm so use to finding max on my rifles through reading the brass but I can't seem to find out how I'm suppose find max on a smokeless

How do you find pressure in a smokeless? I'm new to it and my smokeless will be here in 2 weeks roughly. i know my smith has some known loads which is obviously where I'll start but let's say you try a new powder. I'd asaume an under charge of a muzzleloader is fine as long as the slug leaves the muzzle, but how do you determine your max charges? I'm so use to finding max on my rifles through reading the brass but I can't seem to find out how I'm suppose find max on a smokeless
What I do, and I think most others do, is go by the builder/designer's recommendations. Like for Arrowhead, Luke recommends 80gr H322 in a bolt gun and 60gr IMR4198 in the Encore barrel. I just stick with what Luke says. The gun doesn't blow up, and the performance is tops. For my Savage MLII rifles, Savage had a list of approved powders and charges, and a list of powders to avoid. I run 44gr 5744 in that one.

Smokeless MLs are not really a great place to do a lot of experimenting with powders. Stick with your builder's known loads.

Last edited:
What I do, and I think most others do, is go by the builder/designer's recommendations. Like for Arrowhead, Luke recommends 80gr H322 in a bolt gun and 60gr IMR4198 in the Encore barrel. I just stick with what Luke says. The gun doesn't blow up, and the performance is tops. For my Savage MLII rifles, Savage had a list of approved powders and charges, and a list of powders to avoid. I run 44gr 5744 in that one.

Smokeless MLs are not really a great place to do a lot of experimenting with powders. Stick with your builder's known loads.
Okay but here's my thing. Luke recommends 80gr of h322 which is great. But what if that doesn't shoot worth a ****. Do you move up in .5 gr increments, full grain, move down. When is too much and too little pressure. That's the part I don't understand. I fully intend to stick with what my builder recommends which most likely is what Luke recommends as he uses arrowheads stuff and recommmeds h322.