Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

Okay but here's my thing. Luke recommends 80gr of h322 which is great. But what if that doesn't shoot worth a ****. Do you move up in .5 gr increments, full grain, move down. When is too much and too little pressure. That's the part I don't understand. I fully intend to stick with what my builder recommends which most likely is what Luke recommends as he uses arrowheads stuff and recommmeds h322.
Call or email.

Mine can use h322, benchmark, or H4895

One of his workers was very quick to help and give guidance and ideas

Okay but here's my thing. Luke recommends 80gr of h322 which is great. But what if that doesn't shoot worth a ****. Do you move up in .5 gr increments, full grain, move down. When is too much and too little pressure. That's the part I don't understand. I fully intend to stick with what my builder recommends which most likely is what Luke recommends as he uses arrowheads stuff and recommmeds h322.
Call Luke up. Best information right from the man himself

The multiple guns I have based on the Arrowhead ignition system, including one I built myself from scratch, shot amazingly well going with the loads I got from Luke. Well under 1 MOA. I never deviated from his initial recommended loads; never had a reason to. I'd say if you don't like how it shoots, ask the builder and/or Luke for recommendations, and follow what they say to do. If it's a bolt gun, yeah 80 grains H322 is his #1 load. Based on my experiences and those of others I know or have read about, I don't think accuracy is going to be an issue for you.

If you don't like how the H322 shoots, I'd go to Luke's #2 choice (I believe it's 4198, but check with him on that) before tinkering with load weights. But again, I don't think it's going to be anything to be concerned about.

George Dean,
Now that is what a muzzle loader should look like. I also shoot a Lyman great plains 54 cal.
Muzzle loader hunting and archery should both be a close weapons hunt. Should be a test of skill and woodsmanship. Nothing really against long range just should be kept in the modern rifle (any weapon) season in my opinion. I am happy that here in Idaho we have the restrictions that we do.
Here is a couple photos of my Son resently with his long rifle. Both shots from the ground at about 30 yards. 54 cal. Patch and ball with real black powder.

Attachments

• image000000(2)(3).jpg
    image000000(2)(3).jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20211205_113153.jpg
    20211205_113153.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 54
George Dean,
Now that is what a muzzle loader should look like. I also shoot a Lyman great plains 54 cal.
Muzzle loader hunting and archery should both be a close weapons hunt. Should be a test of skill and woodsmanship. Nothing really against long range just should be kept in the modern rifle (any weapon) season in my opinion. I am happy that here in Idaho we have the restrictions that we do.
Here is a couple photos of my Son resently with his long rifle. Both shots from the ground at about 30 yards. 54 cal. Patch and ball with real black powder.
Yes!

I just picked up a CVA Scout 45-70 conversion this week. Have not shot it enough to determine if it will be what I want, but so far so good. Shooting 56 grains of IMR 4198 with 275 grain Parker bullet ignited by 209 primer.

George Dean,
Your lost. Why come in our smokless muzzleloaders thread and spew your not requested opinions. Start your own thread and I'll gladly stay away from it. GeeZoo.

Your lost. Why come in our smokless muzzleloaders thread and spew your not requested opinions. Start your own thread and I'll gladly stay away from it. GeeZoo.
Hahaha kind of what I was thinking. This is a specific smokeless build thread on a long range hunting forum.

A thread for traditional black powder would be great but that's not what this is!

George Dean,
You should have just posted your cool pictures and just left it at that. This is the wrong thread to be ****ing in of your old school BS ways.

@buckeye68
@matt_3479
@445 supermag

Well said, Fellas! Now, @Flatbow ….With respect, thank you for your pictorial contribution to our SML thread. However, your opinions about the validity and application of OUR rifles are NOT needed or wanted here. Nothing against traditional smoke-poles, but if you don't have a SML contribution kindly step off this thread and go somewhere else. 👍

Last edited:
Just knocked THIS dude down this morning with SML 'Ceruleus' in its "hunting stock". Rem 700 short action w/ 26" fluted Brux barrel (1.25" for 5" shank) 1-18 twist & H.I.S ignition. Stocky's "EuroMatch" Adjustable stock & Nightforce Competition 15-55 scope. Load was 89.5gr Benchmark and a Pittman 300gr Accumax bullet. Shot distance was only 156 yards and he ran @ 50 yards before piling up.
IMG_3201.jpegIMG_3205.jpegIMG_3206.jpeg

Last edited:
Just knocked THIS dude down this morning with SML 'Ceruleus' in its "hunting stock". Rem 700 short action w/ 26" fluted Brux barrel (1.25" for 5" shank) 1-18 twist & H.I.S ignition. Stocky's "EuroMatch" Adjustable stock & Nightforce Competition 15-55 scope. Load was 89.5gr Benchmark and a Pittman 300gr Accumax bullet.
View attachment 509954View attachment 509955View attachment 509956
Oh heck yeah! I was just finishing a message to you and came back to the forum and saw this. Congrats on a nice one.

Just knocked THIS dude down this morning with SML 'Ceruleus' in its "hunting stock". Rem 700 short action w/ 26" fluted Brux barrel (1.25" for 5" shank) 1-18 twist & H.I.S ignition. Stocky's "EuroMatch" Adjustable stock & Nightforce Competition 15-55 scope. Load was 89.5gr Benchmark and a Pittman 300gr Accumax bullet.
View attachment 509954View attachment 509955View attachment 509956
Wowzers what beauty. What state you hunting in? Don't see many that nice here in NJ. Congrats Deputy819. That's a stud

I scored this morning too but with my Crossbow. My other addiction. 1st deer of the year for me. Muzzleloader starts Nov 28 for me.