Let’s play Long-ish range shooting monthly Challenge

Ron, I too am a bit surprised and disappointed by the lack of participation!

If I may throw this out there …… derived at through my powerful deductive reasoning skills aided by the SWAG system.

I believe that the majority of shooters on this site are more dedicated to using shooting aides such as benches, bi/tri pods, ect. . While they may have superb equipment for LR Shooting, they may not have the skillsets for other shooting disciplines.

I guess it's what we prioritize in our shooting! Or in my case……prioritize nothing! I can excel at nothing better than most! 🤪😂memtb
In all fairness this was the first I saw the post. 1/28/2024.

Let's make a thread starting with A different Cold bore shot each month, example January 1 shot cold bore free standing 100 yards next month we will pick a different yardage and position
( current and not old pics )

Not many rules just be honest and shoot 1 shot cold bore in stated position , state weather conditions , rifles specs and cartridge and load data, shoot and post as many cartridges and rifles as you would like. NO BENCHES ,FIELD POSITIONS ONLY which will be selected monthly and will include bipod , tripod , lay down , no practise shots.
PLEASE MEASURE DISTANCE FROM POINT OF AIM TO IMPACT with each rifle you choose to enter so we can pick a winner each month.
Unfortunately due to weather conditions I can not post pictures first because it's cold AF up here in Canada as well as many other places. Just post as you can and we will gain 100 yards each month till we reach a desired Distance you guys decide on !!

Don't make me play this by myself🤣
Finally got out before the end of the month. Unfortunately my daughter couldn't make it. I shot my two favorite hunting rifles, a 30-378 and 270 mag Wby. Both are semi custom with the 30-378 weighing at 11.3lbs and the 270 coming in at 13lbs. Wind was 15mph to 20mph from right to left (no excuse). Great challenge and humbling to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3710.png
    IMG_3710.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 41
Finally got out before the end of the month. Unfortunately my daughter couldn't make it. I shot my two favorite hunting rifles, a 30-378 and 270 mag Wby. Both are semi custom with the 30-378 weighing at 11.3lbs and the 270 coming in at 13lbs. Wind was 15mph to 20mph from right to left (no excuse). Great challenge and humbling to say the least.
Great shooting 👍🍻

Well, finally made it to the range. Shot from 100 yards with a Seekins PH2 6mm Creed, 108 eldm's at avg velocity of 2973. I'm sighted in for 275, so some hold-under was needed. First shot, cold bore from the 6mm as about .94" from center. Knowing that I got lucky, I tried a second shot. That came it at about 3.2" from center.

I also tried with my 7 Remington magnum that I built on a Defiance Anti Long, proof 24" w/8.25 twist and AG stock. Shooting 175 Berger elites with gentle load of H1000 at 2930 FPS. First shot was at 4.2" cold bore. Second shot was about .87".

Weather was sunny, and a balmy 50 degrees above zero - a nice 75 degree warm up from a couple of weekends ago. A crosswind was gusting up to a about 15 mph.

This was fun to try, but I like using a rest! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Let's make a thread starting with A different Cold bore shot each month, example January 1 shot cold bore free standing 100 yards next month we will pick a different yardage and position
( current and not old pics )

Not many rules just be honest and shoot 1 shot cold bore in stated position , state weather conditions , rifles specs and cartridge and load data, shoot and post as many cartridges and rifles as you would like. NO BENCHES ,FIELD POSITIONS ONLY which will be selected monthly and will include bipod , tripod , lay down , no practise shots.
PLEASE MEASURE DISTANCE FROM POINT OF AIM TO IMPACT with each rifle you choose to enter so we can pick a winner each month.
Unfortunately due to weather conditions I can not post pictures first because it's cold AF up here in Canada as well as many other places. Just post as you can and we will gain 100 yards each month till we reach a desired Distance you guys decide on !!

Don't make me play this by myself🤣
Very humbling results for me. I was shaking and wobbling so bad I guess I was lucky to hit paper! LOL!

Cold fouled bore, 100 yards standing. No warm-up. 45 degrees about 5mph crosswind. 6" left and 1" high form POI.
6.5 Saum-153.5 Bergers @ 3,024.
Bottom left was bipod-rear bag, standing off bench to confirm rifle is still zeroed.

Attachments

• 100yd challenge offhand-1-28-24.jpg
    100yd challenge offhand-1-28-24.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 6.5 SAUM 1.jpg
    6.5 SAUM 1.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw someone from GA saying "it's cold here."

I used to live in International Falls, MN and shot year round, even at -30. I remember I had to shoot pretty quickly or my trigger finger would be so numb I couldn't feel it - the cold trigger was actually painful to touch.
Ive learned to shoot with a glove. I live by Eveleth Mn a hour & a half south of I falls

Here's The old "Postal Match" has been referred to several times by Memtb, I had it saved as Carl had sent me a copy back in 2017. I've known Carl for quite a few years, good guy and one heck of a rifleman for such a young pup.

Take a look see, this is a good one. I've shot it a bit, struggled with the kneeling as I've had 7 knee surgeries...still a good one to do. We even scaled the targets down, cut the range down and shoot them with a 77/22 and that one I loved as I practice with that gun a lot offhand at 25 yds and at 50 yards with 1" target dots. One clip off my right side, then one clip off my left side.

Side note, I actually saw my first snow gopher of the year last week!

Edit, sorry when I tried to put up the files they wouldn't open for me. I'll try again tomorrow.

Well, finally made it to the range. Shot from 100 yards with a Seekins PH2 6mm Creed, 108 eldm's at avg velocity of 2973. I'm sighted in for 275, so some hold-under was needed. First shot, cold bore from the 6mm as about .94" from center. Knowing that I got lucky, I tried a second shot. That came it at about 3.2" from center.

I also tried with my 7 Remington magnum that I built on a Defiance Anti Long, proof 24" w/8.25 twist and AG stock. Shooting 175 Berger elites with gentle load of H1000 at 2930 FPS. First shot was at 4.2" cold bore. Second shot was about .87".

Weather was sunny, and a balmy 50 degrees above zero - a nice 75 degree warm up from a couple of weekends ago. A crosswind was gusting up to a about 15 mph.

This was fun to try, but I like using a rest! 🤣
That's some fine shooting 👍

Very humbling results for me. I was shaking and wobbling so bad I guess I was lucky to hit paper! LOL!

Cold fouled bore, 100 yards standing. No warm-up. 45 degrees about 5mph crosswind. 6" left and 1" high form POI.
6.5 Saum-153.5 Bergers @ 3,024.
Bottom left was bipod-rear bag, standing off bench to confirm rifle is still zeroed.
It's not easy but some sure make it look easy!!

Recent Posts