Lesson learned

Idgunner

I have three varmint rifles that I put good scopes on. The first one has a Burris XTR-II 4-20, the second has a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25, the last one is graced with a Nightforce NX8 4-32. All three are MOA and FFP. I've always had issues with the Vortex not being clear at max power and the paralax/focus not worth much past 400 yards. After shooting both the Vortex and the Nightforce side by side at 600 yards I realized that I've settled for extreme mediocrity with the Vortex. Just so you know I have a pair of Vortex Fury binos that I really like and a Vortex Viper spotting scope that made me wonder why I didn't buy one sooner, so I'm not a Vortex hater. I'm going to sell the Viper PST and put the money toward another Nightforce scope for that second rifle. That Nightforce is as clear as my spotting scope.

The Vortex is a price point scope. It is a great starter scope but not on par with glass. A Gen 1 razor is sub $1000 and has amazing glass. I've had the NX8. That glass is nice (like the older NXS line) but still behind Gen 2 Vortex HD glass and the ATACR line. So I understand, but the $700 Vortex is at a disadvantage to the others in pricing (quality) but is a super scope for the starter or someone on a budget. I still shoot one on one of my competition guns as a backup.