Jim Shockey Learns VX-6 Lesson the Hard Way

Wedgy

For the record I'm not a fan of his, can't stand his stupid bandanas(those belong in the 'hood) he buys his hunts instead of relying on skill. Saw an episode of his show where he was sheep hunting in Russia, getting helicoptered to and from various camps and finally got a shot on a good ram...and missed by about 10' high, twice. He stated the shots were off by about 10 feet and then realized why. He had previously dialed for a ~900 yard shot but ended up not shooting. Later when he got the shot he took it was around 200 yards and he had not dialed the scope back to zero....because the dial had come off !!!
Dear Mr. Shockey, before you travel to the other side of the planet with your film crew please familiarise yourself with your equipment. Maybe even practice with it. If you had prepared you would know that the stock plastic turrets can pop right off, like it did and you will have no way to dial your scope. You could have taken the cap off the windage dial, popped it off and put it on the elevation as they are interchangeable. Better yet get the free aluminum CDS dial the attaches with 3 sets screws and it won't just pop off when you bump it. The turret is waterproof and you don't need to put the caps back on. The aluminum dials also don't have the mushy feel and flex like the plastic ones. Your face says it all.
PS I think the show is produced very well but I still can't stand you.

Attachments

• vvbbn.jpg
    vvbbn.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 139
  • vvbb.jpg
    vvbb.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 150
  • vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 143
I quit watching the outdoor, sportsmen etc.... Channels a couple years ago. Not interested in what is going on at Drury or Kiskey's farms. Love to drag some of these television celebrities in the public woods in Louisiana or Texas that I hunt...
Shockey is one of the most traveled hunters I am aware of. I liked his shows just for the scenery & adventure. Few of his hunts were what I consider "canned" or conducted in petting zoos. He is also a pretty decent shot from what I've seen, even if he is kind of a trust fund baby type !

LMAO

Wedgy, do you know if you can get CDS dials with MOA numbers instead of the custom ballistics?

Thanks

Holey Moley! - as Jim Shockey would say...

That's Leupold's LOW PROFILE elevation turret, I presume! :D

I've seen way worse than Jim Shockey televised hunts. At least he maintains a healthy sense of humor.

Ive never watched many outdoor shows, and none at all for at least 20 years.
In fact zero tv of any kind for at least 10 years. But it sounds somewhat refreshing to
hear of someone like that allow the human factor to be seen by the public. As a rule,
real (PROS) don't make mistakes.

Yes, they make a standard MOA dial in metal, left in the photo. You can see it goes on with 3 allen head set screws while the stock pop off plastic dial that fits under the cap is on the right. The plastic dial has a lot of flex in it that gives a real mushy feeling to the clicks. It can also pop off if you bump it on something as me and Mr. Shockey found. Mine was the windage though. The metal CDS dial is exposed and they say it is still waterproof. I assume the shaft/spindle(whatever it's called) is sealed.

Attachments

• ccds.jpg
    ccds.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 149
For the record I'm not a fan of his, can't stand his stupid bandanas(those belong in the 'hood) he buys his hunts instead of relying on skill.

I think hes way more skilled than most of us could ever hope to be. The places he goes and things he hunts, take a lot more than just money to be successful at. Plus he's been an outfitter for years.

Leupold pays him enough money to guarantee he'll be using cheap scopes for a while.

I think hes way more skilled than most of us could ever hope to be. The places he goes and things he hunts, take a lot more than just money to be successful at. Plus he's been an outfitter for years.

Leupold pays him enough money to guarantee he'll be using cheap scopes for a while.

I agree, I like his attitude and his narrative.
That show Uncharted is the only show I would watch on the outdoor networks.
He and his family do a lot to promote the sport.
If they filmed the scope failure, that would speak volumes of his character and him not polishing the show for the sake of scope sales...

Wedgy, While I can certainly agree with most of your post, your issue with the bandana may be a little sensitive. Bandana's have a multitude of uses for the outdoorsman, from warmth(around the neck, to water filtering, to first aid. Didn't mean to pick on you, but many folks,back in the day, used them as a multi-tool, and not a fashion statement/trademark. I'm not sure of his reasons, but he may have started using one as a kid and continued to do so(old habbit). memtb

memtb, I agree a bandana has many other uses, but not in the type of terrain he pretending to be in. "That plane's the only way we're getting out of here, say goodbye to civilization" is his latest trailer, and he's wearing his city slicker outfit while the rest are wearing synthetics, and not the big black hat. It's just annoying, that's all. I suppose she'll be filtering water as well, I hope that bandana has a 1 micron pore size.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Jim-Eva-Shockey.jpg
    Jim-Eva-Shockey.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 180
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.