VX-5 vs VX-6

TBuckus

Here is my question- is it worth it to spend the extra money to get the VX-6 3-18 over the VX-5 3-15?

The only significant difference I am seeing is a little more magnification and a reticle level. The rest from my research is negligible in difference and there is a price jump between the two. The turret construction sounds the same in regards to reliability.
Im leaning toward the VX-5 since its cheaper and it's going on a rifle that the turret will not get used a lot.

am I missing something?

I was in the same boat as you last year and here was the differences I found.
VX6 has wider magnification range than the VX5 (6x erector vs 5x).
Anti-cant in the VX6 line.
Illumination is standard in the VX6 line.
Different reticle options in the VX6.
Exposed locking windage turret on the VX6 vs capped on the VX5.
Alumina caps came included with the VX6 line.

If you just want something in a standard duplex (or even the Wind Plex which is a nice reticle) then the VX5 is probably the better deal. In the end, I went VX6 3-18x50 with TMOA reticle. I liked the higher power, I liked the 50mm objective, I liked the TMOA reticle better than anything in the VX5 line, I liked the illumination, I liked the exposed locking windage turret, and I would have added the alumina caps anyway.
Worth it just depends on what you want.

As stated the internals and glass are the same, just a little more features on the VX-6 line. Remember the ZL2 elevation turret "only" gives you 40 MOA total which is usually plenty for hunting. If you want mil based Eurooptic has the VX-6HD 3-18x50 for $1,100 and the V-5HD 3-15x for $900

I was in the same boat as you last year and here was the differences I found.
VX6 has wider magnification range than the VX5 (6x erector vs 5x).
Anti-cant in the VX6 line.
Illumination is standard in the VX6 line.
Different reticle options in the VX6.
Exposed locking windage turret on the VX6 vs capped on the VX5.
Alumina caps came included with the VX6 line.

If you just want something in a standard duplex (or even the Wind Plex which is a nice reticle) then the VX5 is probably the better deal. In the end, I went VX6 3-18x50 with TMOA reticle. I liked the higher power, I liked the 50mm objective, I liked the TMOA reticle better than anything in the VX5 line, I liked the illumination, I liked the exposed locking windage turret, and I would have added the alumina caps anyway.
Worth it just depends on what you want.
I forgot about the reticle difference.
the struggle I'm running into regarding the options that you stated is that once you add ill., reticle options, the price goes up and gets real close to NF.

I forgot about the reticle difference.
the struggle I'm running into regarding the options that you stated is that once you add ill., reticle options, the price goes up and gets real close to NF.

The price does, but the weight doesn't! If you're ok with a 30+ oz scope, go Nightforce all day!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.