Lesson Learned with Custom Turrets

I just can't figure out why people would use a "custom" turret, instead of just using a mil/mil (or moa/moa) scope and go shoot it. Confirm your dope, write it down, and keep shooting.

No magic formulas, turrets, or programs involved, just shooting.
Because a custom turret is faster.

Because a custom turret is faster.
Not that there is going to be a HUGE change, but where you sight in your custom turret is where it will shoot best. if you change environment your poi changes. Altitude, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure.
If you have your Kestrel set up correctly for your area and position on the earth it will take into account, the environmental factors for much better ballistics to dial in your scope.
If shooting a large target at a short distance it is not going to matter much with custom turrets.

I recently bought a Kestrel just because I was curious as to whether it measured wind differently than the other two anemometers I use. I got the one with Advanced Ballistics. IMO, this thing is extremely cumbersome to use. The anemometer is more sensitive than the other two but one of my less expensive ones has a small wind flag that makes it easier to detect wind direction.

I am a bit baffled as to why any serious long range shooter doesn't buy a SIG, Revic, or other rangefinder that has a BP and temp sensor, etc. Range, dial, shoot. Very fast. The Kestrel? Too slow.

How much difference, at 600 yards, does it make if your turret is set-up for 3000'…. but you're taking that shot at 6000'?

Do y'all print up a new drop chart every time your elevation changes…. or it's 20 degrees colder?

Do you need to check your Ballistics App prior to every shot?

How much difference, at 600 yards, does it make if your turret is set-up for 3000'…. but you're taking that shot at 6000'?

Do y'all print up a new drop chart every time your elevation changes…. or it's 20 degrees colder?

Do you need to check your Ballistics App prior to every shot?
I can't answer your exact question, but when I shoot at 700 in AZ at about 2650, I am about 1 MOA higher than at 700 yards at my CO place, which is 8750. The differences get larger as range increases.

I would also add temperature doesn't have nearly the effect that elevation has.

Here's the answer….

The difference is .1 mil….. yep…. One f'n click.

If you go all the way to 9000'… that's a 6000 foot delta in elevation (and a hunting elevation that 95% of folks will never shoot at)… and the difference is .2 mil.

Some intuition, derived from actual shooting, goes a long way…

I have 4-5 free CDS dials I have never submitted for. Simply verify my Kestrel dope write/type a chart, tape it to the rifle....done.

Not that there is going to be a HUGE change, but where you sight in your custom turret is where it will shoot best. if you change environment your poi changes. Altitude, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure.
If you have your Kestrel set up correctly for your area and position on the earth it will take into account, the environmental factors for much better ballistics to dial in your scope.
If shooting a large target at a short distance it is not going to matter much with custom turrets
Like stated before. For hunting big game out to 600 yards they work pretty good. If it's further then that I better have time to get a good call and dope or I'm not shooting anyways. At 600 you need about 1.5-2 moa to stay in the vitals. At this point wind is going to start to play much more of a factor also.

Do you change the chart taped to the stock, for different environments?
I do. I have several for each cartridge and swap it out for the predicted enviro's if I don't have one that matches close to what I think it will be it takes me about 5 minutes to spit one out of my computer and laminate it.

I've always wondered about changing from 10000 feet to sea level-- and large temp swings.

So I have never ordered one- nore will I.
You also need to look at what type of powder is being used. Some powder change almost 1fps per degree. So where are you at in 100 degree change in temp. With some powders a 50 degree change can change you 14" @ 1000yds.

I do. I have several for each cartridge and swap it out for the predicted enviro's if I don't have one that matches close to what I think it will be it takes me about 5 minutes to spit one out of my computer and laminate it.
What if actual enviros don't match your "predicted" enviro on your newly taped-up chart? Do you take a laptop and a printer so you can make a new one that matches exactly?