Lesson Learned with Custom Turrets

I make my own turret "tapes" I like having yardages as quick corrections are easily made without resorting to data or re-ranging but as mentioned external factors will throw the yardages off. My Leica geovids when set up in ehr mode give a "shoot to range" based on angle and enviromentals and this system has worked perfect for me. I like the tapes as they are easily changed if anything about your load changes.

Attachments

• 86CDF705-74CA-405E-AF35-D951567E8A76.jpeg
    86CDF705-74CA-405E-AF35-D951567E8A76.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 66
I just can't figure out why people would use a "custom" turret, instead of just using a mil/mil (or moa/moa) scope and go shoot it. Confirm your dope, write it down, and keep shooting.

No magic formulas, turrets, or programs involved, just shooting.
I use one ( like, high Altitude's ) on my .270 WSM because, IT's, MUCH Faster, just Range animal, "Dial" the Range on Scope, set up ( Sitting / Prone) and,.. Shoot !
NO chance of, misreading, Ballistic, Charts !
You MUST Pick ONE, "Good" Bullet / Load and Cold Bore Verify, all Drops to, whatever your Max Range, is ( Mines 750 Yards, One turn of dial, Plus a couple of, more, MOA ).
I use, a 200 Yd Zero, then verified, at, 300, 400, 500 etc to, 750 every, 25 yds ( all bullets, are, VERY Close to, Water line )
With the .270 WSM, I don't touch the Dial, Til' PAST, 300 yards as, she's a Lazer ( 140 Berger's going almost,.. 3,200 FPS ).
Berger's Drop Tables work Awesome,.. IF, Bullet / load Data you Input, is,.. "Correct" !
My Tekki Son, made Mine

Last edited:
I use one ( like, high Altitude's ) on my .270 WSM because, IT's, MUCH Faster, just Range animal, "Dial" Range, set up and,.. Shoot !
NO chance of, misreading, Ballistic, Charts !
You MUST Pick ONE, "Good" Bullet / Load and Cold Bore Verify, all Drops to, whatever your Max Range, is ( Mines 750 Yards, One turn of dial, Plus a couple of, more, MOA ).
I use, a 200 Yd Zero, then verified, at, 300, 400, 500 etc to, 750 every, 25 yds ( all bullets, are, VERY Close to, Water line )
With the .270 WSM, I don't touch the Dial, Til' PAST, 300 yards as, she's a Lazer ( 140 Berger's going almost,.. 3,200 FPS ).
Berger's Drop Tables work Awesome,.. IF, Bullet / load Data you Input, is,.. "Correct" !
My Tekki Son, made Mine

Apparently I do things wrong. I range, dial, and shoot.

If you shoot a cartridge that is 2900ft per sec or lower, with a good bc, once you zero at 100yds. 200 = .5mil
300 = 1mil
400 = 2mil
500 = 3mil
600 = 4mil

Sure there will be small variations, but those are easily memorized.....by shooting.

@ Wyo37,..
I "Clarified" my Post for you, YES,. I Range animal, "Dial" Scope, then Set Up and Shoot.
I practice on Steel and Target shoot at, 3,300 Ft Elev and normally hunt, Elk at, 5,000 to, 7,000 Ft. Elevation's.
My Charts, are set / corrected to, 6,000 FT. average. ( I'm a little High, on Steel Targets when Practicing at, 3,300 Ft ) I Use MOA, as I'm, "Old School"
My Dial at, the Longer Ranges IS off, a "Tad" and Bullet impacts are, Slightly Higher, in High country, but only by, a 1/2" to, an Inch,..
I Worry, much MORE,.. about,.. Wind

Last edited:
The up and downhill angles are the main reason that I stayed away from them, same goes for BDC reticles.
There all good if shooting flat ground at the sea level that you sight in at.
How do uphill/downhill angles effect a BDC differently than a "drop chart"?

Essentially uphill/downhill don't effect them differently unless your using a solver to display the reticle bdc, in which case the reticle bdc should be accurate.

Ok.
I'll give the haters a moment of laughter!

I have a Huskemaw scope on a 6.5-284 that has a custom dial.
I did verify dope at distances throughout the range of the single revolution dial before ordering.
I've made accurate kill shots up to 600 yards with head shots at and slightly beyond 300 yards.
It can make first shot hits on steel within 4" at 600
** Note** I am at sea level and have not taken it to high altitude… which I know would affect drop.
So, as someone said earlier, for deer or larger game hunting, I think they work well if within the environmental parameters the dial was cut for.

Now, With that said… I have moa dials on my other hunting and long range bench rifles.
I've also hand made tape for dials for hunts for quick dialing like someone mentioned in earlier post.

Last edited:
How do uphill/downhill angles effect a BDC differently than a "drop chart"

Ok.
I'll give the haters a moment of laughter!

I have a Huskemaw scope on a 6.5-284 that has a custom dial.
I did verify dope in distances through the range of the single revolution dial before ordering.
I've made accurate kill shots up to 600 yards with head shots at and slightly beyond 300 yards.
It can make first shot hits on steel within 4" at 600
** Note** I am at sea level and have not taken it to high altitude… which I know would affect drop.
So, as someone said earlier, for deer or larger game hunting, I think they work well if within the environmental parameters the dial was cut for.

Now, With that said… I have moa dials on my other hunting and long range bench rifles.
combine it with a rangefinder that gives you a "shoot to range" or the revic app and it'll work anywhere in the world. Mine are calibrated for where I live at 1000 feet. Was shooting stags one day at 1500 feet and 59 F and then 3 days later was in Kyrgyzstan at 17000 feet and 0 F my Leica geovids accounted for the change in conditions and I just dial it to the range it gives me.