Leopold cds

Joefrazell

Just ordered a vx3i 4.5-14x40 30mm with side paralax and cds. Question is for the cds, all I've read shows the custom dial out to 600. Can leopold extend that in the turret or do you have to start doing the math past the 600 mark? Thanks

The turret is short in height, so it's tough to squeeze all the numbers required for 2 rotations in such small space.

You might see if you can squeeze what you want in a tape from Custom Turret Systems. However, I suspect the result will be the same.

I have a VX-3 4.5x14x40 30mm tube CDS on my 300 Win Mag and the dial was made for a 180g Accubond at 3050 fps and I can dial out to 775 yards. The funny thing is I shoot the 200g ELD-X at 2960+ fps with that dial and it's perfect out to 600 yards.

Joe, You may not agree with my method, but it brought me to around 850 with my .375 AI. I have for many years used a 300 yard zero. Makes me good on big game from zero to 400 yards, "holding on hair"! As I was comfortable with that, I had Leupold set my scope up with the zero at 300. Or....you could "NOT" have one turn stop. But, if the turret get accidentally turned.... you may have a full revolution on it and not know. In "the heat of battle" you want everything as "failsafe" as possible. memtb

Another question. I've come up with an idea that seems like it should work. To run the stock cds moa dial in order to dial as much moa needed to take a particular shot means no zero stop on this set up. There's no rotation marks on the turret to see what rotation your on. So if the turret is moved off of zero accidentally how do you know which way to turn your dial to return it to zero? I bore sighted this scope on a rifle tonight then put the turret on its zero mark just to check my idea. I turned the dial all the way down to its lowest spot and counted the rotations from zero. It went past the zero mark 4 times and some change. So I dialed back up 4 rotations back to my zero mark. So once sighted in I should be able to dial the scope down and then count rotatons up from there if need be. I'll be testing this Saturday once I've got time to sight it in. I'll of coarse make sure it's tracking true. Has anyone tried this before? I know it's a little slower then a stop but seems like the best solution.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. There is only so much adjustment in the system. My CDS Dial only goes out to 775 yards then it's at the end of travel and it stops. If I did not have a zero stop rotating it three more times will not give me any additional MOA adjustment.
Shoot your gun with the scope at zero, rotate one full turn shoot it again. You are not going to get any additional adjustment after that. On that system you are better off getting a load worked up, order the custom dial with zero stop and go from there.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. There is only so much adjustment in the system. My CDS Dial only goes out to 775 yards then it's at the end of travel and it stops. If I did not have a zero stop rotating it three more times will not give me any additional MOA adjustment.
Shoot your gun with the scope at zero, rotate one full turn shoot it again. You are not going to get any additional adjustment after that. On that system you are better off getting a load worked up, order the custom dial with zero stop and go from there.

If this were true everyone zero would have to be identical as far as where it landed in the scopes range. Lots of guys stick with the moa dial in order to dial more then 1 roration in order to shoot farther and also to get more precise ballistics information with changing variables. I'll still get the custom dial but like options.

Let us know how that works for you.

Went out today. Zeroed rifle. Then reset turret. Then dialed the turret all the way down clockwise and counted how many times I passed zero. Went 3 rotations past zero. Went from zero to bottom out 3 times and then shot and poi was right in my zero group. Shot at 300 510 and 612 yrds at a 12" gong. At 612 I shot one time and then dialed the turret all the way down and then back to 13.5 moa for the shot and wallow hit again. This does work. Its not perfect as it does take 10 seconds roughly to confirm zero by dialing. But it does work. I'll take it out to 1000 next time out.

Turning your turrets just to check your zero sounds like a hassle and could potentially throw you off. Why not just mark/color the turret housing for a revolution indicator (index line). Just because the manufacturer didn't do it doesn't mean you can't.

Turning your turrets just to check your zero sounds like a hassle and could potentially throw you off. Why not just mark/color the turret housing for a revolution indicator (index line). Just because the manufacturer didn't do it doesn't mean you can't.
It would be very difficult as the turret raises a very small amount of elevation per rotation. Too small to try to mark honestly. This is my one complaint on this scope not having a zero stop or a way to see what rotation your on. It is a great piece of glass and tracks great. It's design is to be used with a custom turret which is great but I like a 100 yard zero and to be able to dial to at least 1000 yrds.

Once you get your zero set, can't you take the turret off, add plastic washers to make a zero stop? I'm not familiar with the model you are working with but I have a VXIII 6.5-20x50 LR/T that they (Leupold) have a "free" zero stop kit for. They have one for the Mark IV but it's $10, I think.
It consist of red and black, plastic washers for varying thickness that fit under your turret to prevent it from going any lower. It's not a "solid" zero like Nightforce's but you don't go 3-4 revolutions past zero either (may be 1-2 clicks). JohnnyK.

20171016_060223.jpg

Once you get your zero set, can't you take the turret off, add plastic washers to make a zero stop? I'm not familiar with the model you are working with but I have a VXIII 6.5-20x50 LR/T that they (Leupold) have a "free" zero stop kit for. They have one for the Mark IV but it's $10, I think.
It consist of red and black, plastic washers for varying thickness that fit under your turret to prevent it from going any lower. It's not a "solid" zero like Nightforce's but you don't go 3-4 revolutions past zero either (may be 1-2 clicks). JohnnyK.

I'm going to call leopold and ask them if theres anything available.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.