Len's Record Setting Super Long Range Coyote Kill

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
10-yds.jpg

I have been having a fantastic trip out here in the West. Three days of elk photography in Rocky Mountain National Park ((see LenBackus.com) followed by a 515 yard antelope buck kill (my XP-100 Handgun built by Kirby) with the Specialty Handgun boys including Ernie Bishop and Steve Hugel (sscoyote).

But yesterday tops it all. Hunting with Scott Shreve (Sendero_Man), I killed 4 coyotes in eastern Wyoming near Gillette. My first and second kill was actually a double at 191 and 340 yards.

My 4th and last kill was over the hood of the truck at 231 yards. My only missed opportunity was a screeching tires-gun on the hood of the truck-into the worst sun I have ever shot-401 yard miss.

But my favorite kill (3rd) was the record setter. After a 20 minute set a coyote came in close to my right, only head and shoulders showing above the grass.

I whispered- "Scott, do you have the shotgun?", "No", came the reply, "I am going to try to take it left-handed", said I.

When the coyote looked away, and moving the gun to my left shoulder and sighting through an 8 power scope with my left eye at 10 yards, I bang-flopped him. When we recovered him there was fresh poop on the ground. We think he had just finished taking a dump, his last!

Scott and his coyote calling partner, Jim, have killed nearly 700 coyotes and this is the closest kill Scott has ever been part of --- thus my record!

Eat your heart out, goodgrouper! :cool:

Last edited:
Sounds, and looks, like you're having a pretty good trip and also have some great guys to hunt with.

10 yards huh???? Done this mean there may now be a new "SRH" site?:rolleyes:

Since he was evidently preoccupied with his bodily functions, you should have sneaked up at least 1 yard and got into the single digits, but, maybe next time.;)

When we recovered him there was fresh poop on the ground. We think he had just finished taking a dump, his last!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Len you knocked the s#!^ out of him !!

Nice hunting trip !!Good for you .......Mike

Len,

It was a blast hunting with you and getting to know you. You're one of the good ones !!! Might have to make it an annual event ! ??

We had a full and successful day of calling coyotes. It was one to remember....

I used LR Tweety by Rick Paillet for most of the calling and Lil' Dog howler by Primos.

http://www.verminatorpredatorcalls.com/

Here are some pics of Len's double that I had off the video camera... Yes there is proof of all this... LOL

len_double.JPG

Some of the country we called on Sunday.

Len_trip.JPG

And a picture of Len shooting my new 243 AI rifle at 614 yards busting rocks.

Len.JPG

Last edited:
Sendero_Man,
I think Len had more fun with you than he ever expected!
We need to get together and do some shooting/hunting some time in the future.

The way you had to shoot it doesn't sound like a gimme;). Sounds like a great day.

Len, your really putting the pressure on me to find time to get up a see Scott next week!:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.