Longest Coyote Kill

tt35

So, Broz put one down at 1017 yards this winter. What's the longest shot you guys have made on a coyote? Circumstances, caliber, bullet, etc?l

My personal long for coyote shot was just over 400 yards using a .204 with a 35 grain Berger bullet. It was thw second of a double that just sat down and wouldn't budge no matter what calls I tried. There was little wind and it was sitting facing me from a sage flat. I was on a grassy hillside with a few scattered sage. I held on the coyotes nose and the coyote ran a few yards behind a clump of sage. I watched closely for several minutes and never saw the coyote leave so I walked down and found it right where it disappeared. The bullet had performed perfectly but it definitely left me questioning whether I had enough gun for that situation.

My son took a coyote New Years Day at 675 yards off a cow carcass. My Leica Geovids barely gave me a reading on an upright cow near the carcass the evening before. I can definitely see the benefits of the Vectronix PLRF that Broz used on his coyote. Anyway, Ben had his drops worked out when we got there at daylight the next morning. It's terriblel to have to live vicariously through your sixteen year old kid! Oh, .243AI with a 105 grain A-max on Ben's coyote.

What's yours?

Last edited:
That is still my farthest yote to date and was taken with my 300 win custom built by Dave Young loaded with a 210 Berger. I did take one running at 305 yards since wth my stagg ar and wolf ammo. I connected on the 3rd shot so you know he had the afterburners on. :D

I have been trying to take one past my 1008 yard mark but have not been successful, and havent sent a bullet yet. The little suckers won't sit down and wait for me. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Well, if you could do it every week, it would make it look too easy, Jeff! Quite an accomplishment in my book. There are a lot of things that have to go right to get that done!

Keep at 'em.

Furthest for me was 775 yards with a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUMw/200g SMKs at 3200fps.

Spotted him across the canyon and he was mousing. I laid out the harris bipod, cranked the leupold up to 18x, dad ranged him at 775. I dialed to 775 and let her go. Right over the back my dad said, inches. Coyote looked up kinda stood around like whered that shot come from. I jacked another in real quick and this time held at the belly line and touched the 2 off. Bingo, coyote went down spinning for a while and eventually died.

I missed 2 with my 338 EDGE/300g SMKs at 950-1000 yards couple years ago. Each time I only got 1 shot off since that 300g went inches over there back, they got a nice dirt bath, so they never stuck around for me to get a 2nd shot on em.

I'm going to try again this year for a 1K dog with my 264 and 140g amaxs.

Great shooting, 25-06! The second shot seems to be the big issue with these LR coyotes. Keep after them anyway!

I have taken two between 510-515 yards at night. I am shooting a 22.243 with 80 gr. AMAX.

The first one was fairly easy as he was bedded under a cedar tree. I shot him twice. He didn't move after the first hit but was still blinking so I put another in him.

The second one was a called head shot.

I think the farthest I am going to be able to push it at night is 700-800 yds. I just need to one to cooperate at that range so I can give it try.

That's a good shot even in the day time! What light were you using at that distance?

I use a lightforce 240 and a nightforce scope.

With the 240 you can dial the beam in real tight and the nightforce scopes are super at night.

The one under the cedar was on a hill side so the light had a good back drop and I could see everything in the scope.

The one I took the head shot on was in the flats so the light just blows over them and it is nearly impossible to pick out a body shot in the high sage.

Last winter, one was sitting facing me. 540 with my 223, 69 smk. Shot a 36 lb. this wintergun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.