Len, Are You Really Serious?

amce

Len,

I was just reading your email of the 22/9 where you tout the G7 BR2 as "The Best Long Range Rangefinder - Period". Are you really serious?

For one, AFAIK, it has no support for metric units. Secondly it can not provide a solution in MRADs, which BTW has nothing to do with the metric system.

Having to, in this day and age, after paying $1600, revert to a paper table taped to your stock to get your final firing solution is ridiculous.

How about a little critical thinking here?

Cheers

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 99
You may want to look at Bushnell's ARC 1 Mile binoculars or monocular.

My 10 X 42 binoculars are excellent and will give firing solutions in mils or MOA and read in meters or yards plus giving hold-under for high angle shots.

I have mine programmed in mils, meters, a 200 meter zero range and my cartridge group. When you look online at Bushnells cartridge groups you will find that, for example, several 180 gr. .300 Win mag loads fall into different classes because Bushnell has tested them and has actual ballistics.

Still it's best to try the binocular/monocular at your range. Then you'll know how to adjust for different distances if there are any discrepancies between the binocular/monocular readout and your actual ballistics.

Tough to best the vectronix units, but I'll withhold judgment til I have used the gr7. I like the idea of an al encompassing solution but in execution I think it is tough to pull off. I love the terrapin but it needs more mag. Nothing is perfect I guess.

it's baffling that at $1600 rangefinder would not do meters or mils.

Yup. +1. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the g7 rangefinder takes up or down hill readings and corrects by multiplying the line of sight yardage by the cosine of the angle and not the proper way.

It's these two reasons I don't own one. And they are big reasons to me.

amce

Take a deep breath. :)

+1

This sounds like the ford verses Chevy debate to me.

I don't have any experience with high end range finders, but I have used the entre level ones and found them lacking (For My Uses).

I started with a Bushnell 400 and thought it was great compared to the old mechanical (With mirrors) but soon found I needed something more accurate and something that would range past 350yards consistently.

So I bought the Bushnell 800. It was better than the 400 but would only range to 500 to 600 with
any consistency.

Next came a very nice Leupold with lots of bells and whistles and it did lots of things (almost an
information overload to an old school hunter) it would range past 800 yards (Most of the time)
And even had a program for Bow hunting distance and trajectories.

But again, for True long distance accuracy there had to be something that was simple to operate,
very accurate (Every time) , would go to 1400 to 1500 yards every time. and would compute accurate ballistic shooting solutions for all conditions.

Having researched all of the available Range finders (That I could afford and some that I couldn't) and with the features that I wanted, I zeroed in on two range finders above $800.00 that had possibilities. Then I talked to as many people with both and read all of the reviews I could find
on them.

I was trained using MOA and shooting iron sites, so I am very comfortable with the MOA method.
Everything I have is in MOA from the ballistic tables, scope turrets , to even the scope bases so it made sense to look for a range finder that was formatted using this method because I think in
inches, feet, yards, and MOA, Not meters.

All Range finders Have there shortcomings unless you have unlimited funds to spend, so look at what you want and expect from a range finder and buy the one that best suits YOUR needs and budget and It will probably be the best ''Range finder period" as far as you are concerned.

I made my choice, based on what I wanted it to do for me. I don't care how it does it as long as the information is accurate and consistent and in usable data for me to use, and so far I am very pleased and convinced that it will do what I want and need.

Is it the Best Period, Only Time will tell

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I use a leica 1600-b and found an awesome iOS app that gets me dead center every time. I just tried it out to 1200m and with my .338 EDGE and my 7mm Rem Mag I´ve never had a problem shooting that far. My .308 is a very different story, and I believe that the problem is that I´m having trouble getting super accurate wind readings which combined with a low BC it leads to misses down range.

The app I use is Ballistic AE by peak studios LLC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.