Leica Magnus Opinions and Value

TK 1985

I came across a Leica Magnus on a Christensen rifle I picked up. It's the 1.5-10x42 non-illuminated L-plex reticle with BDC turret.

What is everyone's opinions on this scope? I've always used Leupold, have a couple VX-5HD, how does it compare? I don't see much difference in looking through it. What would a scope like this be worth?

BCA68D3B-1C00-4B57-BF11-F3C9B0D6E214.jpeg

Keep using and you'll soon see the reasons Leica is regarded so highly. I have a 2.4-16x56 Magnus, w/ illum....I haven't mounted it yet. But plan on it soon and then I can draw some better conclusions on the Magnus line. It's their primo line so I expect to be impressed. I've owned several different Leica scopes and binocs.
If you ever have to deal with the sun glare, the Leica will really shine versus any other brand.
I'm currently running a Swaro Z8i on a 6.5, and a S&B Exos on my .280ai. IMO you cannot find better optical quality than those two scopes, for my eyes at least. I'd consider Leica to be right up there with a few other alpha glass companies.
Your model retails for around $2000.....and can be found on sale for a bit less.
I know Leupold has gotten much better, but in my judgement, Leica is a clear class above. Try both scopes at last light. Also make sure you're comparing the same specs. Don't use a 56mm objective on one and a 42 on the other. Crank both up to their max, assuming they are both the same magnification Max, and compare. As far as image quality, color separation, edge to edge distortion and any other benchmark imaginable, the Leica is one of the best. The build and durability will not be an issue, and they track perfectly.
I don't know if mine will run with the Z8i or Exos, but I don't anticipate any noticeable drop off. My eyes are mine only and I know what I see. But I also listen to bird watchers and know what a stickler some of those folks can be about their optics. Leica is on their short list.
I don't know what u paid for the scope and rifle, but u def got a nice rig.
Keep using and I think you'll arrive at the same conclusion.

Keep using and you'll soon see the reasons Leica is regarded so highly. I have a 2.4-16x56 Magnus, w/ illum....I haven't mounted it yet. But plan on it soon and then I can draw some better conclusions on the Magnus line. It's their primo line so I expect to be impressed. I've owned several different Leica scopes and binocs.
If you ever have to deal with the sun glare, the Leica will really shine versus any other brand.
I'm currently running a Swaro Z8i on a 6.5, and a S&B Exos on my .280ai. IMO you cannot find better optical quality than those two scopes, for my eyes at least. I'd consider Leica to be right up there with a few other alpha glass companies.
Your model retails for around $2000.....and can be found on sale for a bit less.
I know Leupold has gotten much better, but in my judgement, Leica is a clear class above. Try both scopes at last light. Also make sure you're comparing the same specs. Don't use a 56mm objective on one and a 42 on the other. Crank both up to their max, assuming they are both the same magnification Max, and compare. As far as image quality, color separation, edge to edge distortion and any other benchmark imaginable, the Leica is one of the best. The build and durability will not be an issue, and they track perfectly.
I don't know if mine will run with the Z8i or Exos, but I don't anticipate any noticeable drop off. My eyes are mine only and I know what I see. But I also listen to bird watchers and know what a stickler some of those folks can be about their optics. Leica is on their short list.
I don't know what u paid for the scope and rifle, but u def got a nice rig.
Keep using and I think you'll arrive at the same conclusion.
I'll take them both out tonight at last light and look. They are both the same top magnification, the VX-5 just has 2 at the low end. I mean I'm hunting PA whitetail anywhere between 50-650 meters usually. If it's worth that much I'm questioning if I need it.

I did notice the objective on the Leica is only 42mm......it's not gonna gather the light that a bigger size, say 52 or 56 would, but it should still be fairly bright. Everyone's eyes are different so you may not see any difference.
But Leica has long been one of the better European optics companies.

So I bought mine from EuroOptics when I found it on sale....they have yours marked down from $2600 to $2000....and it's a real markdown. The cheapest you'll find that scope at regular price is $2400-$2500. I'm not sure why they have some models marked down and some not.....I got lucky and the one I was looking for was $700 off.
E8C153F6-B4A5-4C8A-B307-D5A582E3AC4E.png
E8C153F6-B4A5-4C8A-B307-D5A582E3AC4E.png

That's the ballistic reticle which I assume is a bit more expensive. I looked at dark and they looked pretty similar to me, however I only had about 240m of distance to view. I understand differences really become more apparent at distance as well. I'm gonna keep it till I get some range time in the next week or two and see what I think. I'm guessing $1600-1,700 would be fair to ask if I decide to sell.

I did a lot of research on the Magnus recently and many top optic guys revere it as one of the best hunting scopes available. Right up there with the Swarovski V8i. I'm talking quality of glass as well as build. You have a nice scope there. Read post #12 below.

I did a lot of research on the Magnus recently and many top optic guys revere it as one of the best hunting scopes available. Right up there with the Swarovski V8i. I'm talking quality of glass as well as build. You have a nice scope there. Read post #12 below.

I didn't even think about looking around on the Hide since usually they are all about the tactical. That was interesting, thank you.

That's the ballistic reticle which I assume is a bit more expensive. I looked at dark and they looked pretty similar to me, however I only had about 240m of distance to view. I understand differences really become more apparent at distance as well. I'm gonna keep it till I get some range time in the next week or two and see what I think. I'm guessing $1600-1,700 would be fair to ask if I decide to sell.
The illuminated Magnus is a good bit more expensive than the non-illuminated.
Yours without illumination lightly used would be more in the $1300 range, imo.

Best scope, bar none. I liked it better than TT315, and have switched everything over to magnus scopes. Unfortunately, they are pretty much unobtainium now, and I think only sold in Europe. I have heard very good things about the new Leica Amplus though

Best scope, bar none. I liked it better than TT315, and have switched everything over to magnus scopes. Unfortunately, they are pretty much unobtainium now, and I think only sold in Europe. I have heard very good things about the new Leica Amplus though

Lol I still have it, haven't used it. Been distracted with medical school, put a damper on shooting.