Leica 1600 thoughts

Went elk area scouting Tuesday.

Some distances for reference. We all hunt in areas with different needs. In the below cases there is great ability to sneak a lot closer but at times long range is the only choice.

This unit has one of the highest elk densities in the state.

CarbouMtnWest.jpg

CarbouMtnWyo.jpg

BTW, this unit is archery only:rolleyes: Shot a moose there in 1970.

Very nice country there Roy. A nice combination timber and openings, with enough topographic relief to get to some good vantage points. I enjoy the open terrain. I don't particularly enjoy fighting the underbrush, alders, and devils club in Alaska. Which is probably why I prefer mountains - largely above treeline. Problem is, it often takes some brush busting to clear treeline.

Last edited:
Could you help us out by providing a link to this SWFA review?

Sorry folks, seems I was a little enthusiastic with the word 'review'. They only have the usual sales blurb on their site but they offered a few small pieces of info on the snipershide forum where they claimed to have played with a demo of the CRF1600.

This is what they had to say
I would venture to say that it will be the LRF to beat. The unit we played with was a prototype and many times those are hand tweaked premium examples but if that is not the case and the production run is equal then it will be THE new standard.

We don't have all of the details yet but can tell you some things that were relayed to us like:

Built-in ballistics computer calculates temperature, barometric pressure, angle, sight in distance, the user's choice of one of 12 ballistic curves and applies them the linear distance to give the user an integrated firing solution.

Ranges beyond 1600 consistantly.

Contains Leica's patented, new and improved, Super bright-red LED readout, which is legible in any light condition.

Multi Gated Return processing system gives a "smart" response in less time (.30 seconds, now almost 3x faster than the 1200). Meaning the CRF1600 takes hundreds of measurements in less than 1/3 of a second to give the user the most accurate range possible.

AguaDura water shedding coatings on the lenses.

Integrated scan mode which helps range difficult targets by sending out a continuous stream of laser beams and makes it possible to continuously range moving targets.

Phase corrected prism coatings for enhanced image sharpness.

Tightest beam divergence in the industry.

Built in rain/snow modes to allow it to function properly in most any weather condition.

Uses a strong CR2 lithium battery which provides the user with approximately 2,000 ranges.

Fully submersible waterproof housing.
when asked how it would compare to a swaro he goes on to say, "we got one to go 1900yds without resting it on anything"

now this would all be more credible if they didn't have an interest in selling this unit, so take it all with a grain of salt I guess...

Sorry folks, seems I was a little enthusiastic with the word 'review'. They only have the usual sales blurb on their site but they offered a few small pieces of info on the Snipershide forum where they claimed to have played with a demo of the CRF1600.

When asked how it would compare to a Swaro he goes on to say, "we got one to go 1900yds without resting it on anything"

now this would all be more credible if they didn't have an interest in selling this unit, so take it all with a grain of salt I guess...

Thanks for the follow-up post. I spent some time searching SWFA for a review with no success. Now I understand. Still, it sounds like it may have a lot of potential. We should know in another month - IF they really start shipping in August.

From everything I have read and can gather, the CRF1600 will essentially be;

a LRF that ranges outright distance similar to a swaro LG
has a tighter beam divergence than a swaro as is already the case with the CRF1200
has a better, easier to read display and reticle
displays inclination angle and temp and baro pressure
has a stupid ballistic curve feature that probably will be a pretty much useless feature and so we will still need our PDA /phone and ballistics software.
still Costs less than a swaro

Still an improvement over what's currently available in this price range, but still misses the mark on being a complete programable field firing solution system (which is what we all want), at an affordable price...

From everything I have read and can gather, the CRF1600 will essentially be;

a LRF that ranges outright distance similar to a Swaro LG
has a tighter beam divergence than a Swaro as is already the case with the CRF1200
has a better, easier to read display and reticle
displays inclination angle and temp and Atm pressure
still costs less than a Swaro

Still an improvement over what's currently available in this price range...

I expect your preliminary assessment will turn out to be correct. Leica has the reputation for quality, and I don't expect them to ramp up a 1600 model that doesn't significantly out-range their 1200 yd line of LRFs. Add waterproof (it is advertised as such) to the specs, and I'll take one.

Right now I carry a Kestrel and an angle indicating device in addition to my Swaro. I don't really need the Kestrel for wind, and I can also live without knowing the Relative Humidity. The temp, press, and inclination angle will be available on the Leica at the same time I obtain the range. So two less items to pack and carry (unless I haul them for backup), and these data will be provided more conveniently with the Leica 1600 than messing with the Kestrel and angle indicator.

I just may order one now... :)

Just ordered mine from Cabelas Yesterday. One website said Cabelas had them in stock on Friday, but when I ordered it was not. My guess is they never had any to start with, and these are just pre-orders. Was able to use a coupon code, and $120 back in rebate points, so that was cool! I can't wait to give it a try, but I don't think it will show up for a couple weeks. Will post a quick review after it shows. I am sure there will be some reviews comming very soon, as they should be hitting shelves any day now.

aroshtr

Getting back to the Leica 1600's...they are in stock @ Cabelas. If you have a Cabelas Visa and use promo code x3xaugust you will receive triple the cabelas bucks back. So for my purchase I got 15% bucks, $120 to put towards other gear at Cabelas. This deal lasts till August 17th. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting one and have a Cabelas Visa.

Getting back to the Leica 1600's...they are in stock @ Cabelas. If you have a Cabelas Visa and use promo code x3xaugust you will receive triple the cabelas bucks back. So for my purchase I got 15% bucks, $120 to put towards other gear at Cabelas. This deal lasts till August 17th. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting one and have a Cabelas Visa.

Your killing me!! I'm tyring to not use my Cabelas card and now this, I could buy the 1600 and have enough points for a Forester Coax!! I've gotta stop. Good deal though, it has free shipping on it also the last I looked.

I know I really wasn't planning on buying one till I could read their instruction manual but... you know they won't be on sale anytime soon so might as well jump on the grenade. Can always use it this hunting season and send it back if it doesn't work out

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.