Lehigh Defense?

mobertok

Hello folks, I am curious if some of you have used the Lehigh Defense Controlled chaos bullets for deer hunting? Your impressions? I am wondering if they are a viable substitute to the other more expensive all copper bullets?
Thank you for your help.

therifleman556

Haven't had a chance to put one thru a deer, but they shot great out of my 6.5.
They're supposed to shed the pedals when they expand and cause more internal damage. Similar in theory to an SST that sheds weight vs a high weight retention bullet that expands but may over penetrate.
I think I myself might try the brass 284 version. Aside from being lighter, the tech at Lehigh said they tend to produce smaller fragments which I feel would aid it's performance on light game.

100 bullets for a little more than the other guys get for 50? In my opinion, a far better value than the other homogenous bullets.

7mmShooter

The brass versions emit fine almost powder like fragments in addition to the petals from what I've seen from guys that have used them. Only thing with the brass versions is a lot higher expansion velocity ceiling. I agree rifleman, I got a box of the 115gr for $29 on sale, that's cheaper than I could even get the Hornady ELD....

therifleman556

If I remember right, the expansion requirement for the brass is something like 2000 fps vs 1400-1600 for copper. 2000 fps in brass would still allow for shots just under 400 yards even out of the 7mm-08. They are apparently being discontinued though so if you want brass buy 'em up!
I was also told there could potentially be a lightweight (120 +/-) 7mm copper if the demand is there, so if that interests you make sure you call Lehigh up and let them know!

mobertok

Thanks for your responses guys, Wondering if they require to be seated off the lands like other copper bullets?
Thanks.

TXAoudadKlr

A guy I follow on YouTube had poor results on game with them out of his 6.5 creedmoor. Went 0/3 on hog, coyote and a raccoon at fairly conventional distances.

therifleman556

@mobertok
I seated them so the machined groove was just out of the case. With the Creedmoor, that will give you about 2.8 +/- oal, I didn't try other depths because that one worked very well.

iclick

I use them in several calibers for deer. They perform as described as can be seen in their utube videos. They are very good at DRT. I have never had a deer go more than 20 yards. As always bullet placement is a huge factor. A bad shot is just that. I have taken bear as well with them. Took an Elk in Idaho with one in my 300WSM and it never took a step. Being stuck in California I have experimented with nearly all the lead free options for a few years now. The only brand that I have found out performs the chaos on game is the Cutting Edge Raptors. But they are more than double the price of the Chaos bullets.

CMP70306

I have used the 145gr Brass Chaos out of my 30-06 for the last 3 years and managed to take 4 deer with them. Three of them bled out within 40 yards with broadside lung shots while the buck went all of 2 ft straight down with a front chest shot.

CMP70306

Well I guess since this popped back up in my notifications I should update it and state that the .264 cal 122gr Chaos bullets will penetrate diagonally through the chest cavity and spine of a 475 pound black bear and due to the fat layer the entrance hole in the ribs was over an inch in diameter.

new2mud

Well I guess since this popped back up in my notifications I should update it and state that the .264 cal 122gr Chaos bullets will penetrate diagonally through the chest cavity and spine of a 475 pound black bear and due to the fat layer the entrance hole in the ribs was over an inch in diameter.
Wow. What velocity?

Trending threads