Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag.

Ak Guy

Hi to all. My first post here and I have a new Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. that I am getting ready to work up a load for. I only hunt in Alaska and I have been using some flavor of Barnes X bullet since their introduction.

I picked up a bunch of Barnes 175 grain LRX bullets and 200 rounds of Norma brass. I want to stick with a powder that does not care what the weather is doing. I have some H4831sc and H100 and thought I would start with them.

I want to get at least 3,000 fps mv from the 24" barrel and if those 2 powders don't give me the velocity I want then I may look at RL 23.

If any of you are running the 175 grain LRX I would appreciate your thoughts.

I have spent the last 52 years up here shooting a .338 Win. Mag. and a 30-06 and they take care of all my hunting needs. I run H4350 and X bullets out of them. I had a .300 Win. Mag. for a couple of years in the 70's and thought I would try it again.

I retired a couple of years ago and must be bored!

Don't know if this helps. But I've been getting 2980 fps with 180 gr nosler accurabonds. Using 69 gr of h4350. Out of the same rifle you have. Just purchased the rifle and this is the first load I've tried.

Thanks dmj, any info is useful. In 52 years of poking holes in moose, caribou, Sitka deer and bears I think I have shot over 300 yards 3 times.

The first shot at most of Alaska's big game takes place at an average of 150 to 180 yards according to a survey I did for about 4 years running.

I passed on a big moose last year because the range was about 750 yards and my old stand by original 250 grain X bullet and 2.5 x8 Leupold Vari X III scope were not made for that shot, neither was my skill level! The moose appeared bigger then the 62 incher on my wall. Woe is me....

Any way, I want this LAW .300 for my interior Alaskan hunts, as the possibility for longer shots is greater then where I live on Alaska's coast.

I picked up a VX3i 3.5 x 10 with the Windplex reticle and I may replace it with a 30 mm 4.5 x 14 Leupold. Trying to keep the weight down as this is primarily a hunting rifle.

I have read mixed reviews about this LAW rifle. I am hoping mine is a shooter. If not it will get a new 25" top tier custom barrel.

Hi to all. My first post here and I have a new Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. that I am getting ready to work up a load for. I only hunt in Alaska and I have been using some flavor of Barnes X bullet since their introduction.

I picked up a bunch of Barnes 175 grain LRX bullets and 200 rounds of Norma brass. I want to stick with a powder that does not care what the weather is doing. I have some H4831sc and H100 and thought I would start with them.

I want to get at least 3,000 fps mv from the 24" barrel and if those 2 powders don't give me the velocity I want then I may look at RL 23.

If any of you are running the 175 grain LRX I would appreciate your thoughts.

I have spent the last 52 years up here shooting a .338 Win. Mag. and a 30-06 and they take care of all my hunting needs. I run H4350 and X bullets out of them. I had a .300 Win. Mag. for a couple of years in the 70's and thought I would try it again.

I retired a couple of years ago and must be bored!

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

You should be able to get 3000 FPS with H4831SC and 175 LRX. I'm pushing the 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS out of my SAKO M995 1:11" 24" using 75 H4831SC.

I also have read quite a few reviews that weren't real positive on some of the law rifles. Mine has a new barrel, updated stock that has been bedded. It shot the 180 noslers at about .75 inch. Don't claim to be a great shot, but I'm working on it. Have fun with your new toy.

Hopefully this rifle will shoot as good as it looks. I pulled the stock and the aluminum pillar and recoil lug bedding block looks good.

I am probably going to spend the bucks and get a different CDS scope then the 3.5 x10. Maybe a 4.5 x 14 30mm or one of the VX6 models.

But first I want to verify this rifle is a shooter. I am a bit surprised by how many cleaning patches and Wipe out and Patch out it took to clean this rifle as it is supposedly a new barrel. Very strange to me.

I am giving serious thought to the old JB bore paste and Kroil oil treatment I have used in the past. But, a guy should not have to due that to a barrel that is advertised as hand lapped, right?

I wish Barnes would make the 190 grain LRX available to hand loaders.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.