Legally Blind scope options

Tdylan

My son is legally blind. Totally blind in the right eye and can barely see out of the left eye. My son's hobby? Guns, guns and more guns. Rifles, pistols etc.
It's very hard for him to use a scope or red dot right handed with a rifle, even if it is only 50 to 100 yards at something. He just barely sees the target no matter what scope or sight by using right hand left eye position. Left handed just didn't work for him.
The best solution was to hold the rifle right handed and use an offset scope mount to the left. It tilts down at a 45 degree angel to the left and is in the perfect position for his left eye. The sight is an Eotec 17 with the 3 magnifier. Hard to figure out the sight-in at first because the sight is at a 45 degree angel like so, X. Even though he still cann't see the target clearly, it is now fun and enjoyable.
PS, always stand behind him!

I'm not sure what you mean by " it tilts down at a 45 Degree Angle " . I would think that as he is cheeking the Stock , his left eye would be only a slight amount over his right . I was going to suggest you look for a mount that was made a while back ( don't know if they are still being made ........ but it mounts 2 Scopes side by side ..... you would only have to mount the Left position Scope . It was called a Scope Checker and was used by Bench Rest Shooters to Check one Scopes Tracking against a known "good one " . Just another option for you to consider , but if you have something that works , I wish you and your Son ...the best , and be sure he has enough Ammo to keep him happy . Just be careful if you change Targets for him !

Another possibility is an iPhone holder that mounts in the scope. That way he can see a bigger picture of the target. There are many companies that make mounts for scopes and binos. Not far off for a shooting scope.
Maybe look into this.

Thanks for the ideas. The mount he is using is a picatinney rail style 45 degree offset mount, one for the Eotec and one for the 3 power magnifier . It really doesn't tilt down, just looks like it does. This is all set up on his Colt ar-15. The Ipod idea sounds good, but he uses a magnifying glass to see numbers on his flip type cell phone. On a smart phone he has to use his magnifying glass, then his hand touches the phone glass and changes everything so he sticks with the old style flip phone. I see that a lot of people use this offset mount idea for iron sights along with a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.