Legal Question Folding stock

1eye

Can't seem to find out if its legal to have a folding stock on a pistol or rifle . I have one on a Thompson Contender pistol that I use calling coyotes . And what the shortest barrel I can have on a rifle. Anyone know the answer ?

Don't know Iowa law, but as far as the Feds are concerned, if the barrel is over 16" and the gun in it's shortest configuration is at least 26" overall it is considered a Short Stocked rifle, no tax stamp required.
If you put a shoulder stock on a pistol with less than a 16" barrel you have a problem. Then you would need a stamp from BATF for $200.00.

The link below will give "some" guidance as to the kinds of weapons that require a transfer tax.

Not a lawyer or and ATF agent, just info I found trying to answer my own questions.

Dave

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

Can't seem to find out if its legal to have a folding stock on a pistol or rifle . I have one on a Thompson Contender pistol that I use calling coyotes . And what the shortest barrel I can have on a rifle. Anyone know the answer ?
16" with an overall length of 26" from tip of barrel to the butt of the unfolded stock. if you want to build an sbr (short barreled rifle) you'll need to go threw the batfe and pay a 200 dollar tax for a stamp.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.