Lee Hand Press

m.o.a.man

Can I use the Lee Hand Press to load the 300 win mag cartridge? Does anyone know of a hand press other than the Lee that will? Thank you.

Can I use the Lee Hand Press to load the 300 win mag cartridge? Does anyone know of a hand press other than the Lee that will? Thank you.

I have a handpress and it will work for 300Win Mag. However, pushing the shoulder back with the Lee handpress is tough and inconsistent. If you were only neck sizing, it would be fine. I use the handpress for seating depth adjustments at the range. For example, I'll load 20 rounds and leave them really long. then I'll seat them at the range while searching for that 'magic length'.

Hope this helps,
AJ

"I use the handpress for seating depth adjustments at the range."

Same here and have not seen anyone else use one at the shooting clubs I have belonged to over the years.With what I am used to seeing at some of them it does not suprise me though. I bet though most of us here have seen some things that make us shake our heads and chuckle a bit. But that stuff is for another thread. Got the hand press just for adjusting oal at the range can't comment on sizing, You would be better with a bench mounted press for sure for FL stuff even for neck sizing.

To seat the bullets OK.
Full length sizing is better on a bench mounted press because the Lee Hand Press have some parts that are made of Aluminum.
If you have a batch of cases prepared you can use your bullet seating die in the Lee Hand press at the range to work out loads rather than preloading batches of ammo to test.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.