Leaving to go elk hunting tomorrow

Tikkamike

Its not the most exciting hunt I have ever been on but I am leaving tomorrow to head down to Jefferey City wyoming to hunt elk on Green mountain...cow elk. its an early additional cow tag for rifle. I am taking my 338 Lapua and my 375 Ultra since I cant decide which gun to take so I will decide when I get there. There are 5 of us with tags so should be a good time to kick off the hunting season. I may stop on my way home and fill a couple of antelope tags too... depending on how hot it is out.

Lucky Dog! I have not hunted elk in 4 years.

I would of taken an old 30-30 for ***** and giggles :D

I almost took my 30-06 because I have never killed anything with it, but I decided it might be a good chance for a 1k+ elk, and the 375...its just a kick in the pants to shoot.

I would like to see the terminal performance of the 300 grain SMK, ya ya i know it has been proven on game time and time again but i would love to see an autopsy with pics. Hint Hint :D

Good Luck, BTW a 1k+ kill woud be sweet!

If i am not impressed with the low velocity performance of the 280 grain Barnes LRX in my wet newspaper test or in game at long range i will probably switch to the SMK after this hunting season.

Any way, good luck on your hunt!

Its not the most exciting hunt I have ever been on but I am leaving tomorrow to head down to Jefferey City wyoming to hunt elk on Green mountain...cow elk. its an early additional cow tag for rifle. I am taking my 338 Lapua and my 375 Ultra since I cant decide which gun to take so I will decide when I get there. There are 5 of us with tags so should be a good time to kick off the hunting season. I may stop on my way home and fill a couple of antelope tags too... depending on how hot it is out.

May not be the most exciting but going on a boring hunt beats a fun day at work every time. good luck. I to would like to see the 300 SMS at work since I just stared shooting them. And now you got me thinking I should go try it out. Lucky for me all I have to do is walk out my back door:D. Good hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.