Learning Gunsmithing

mkbaquet

I am cureous...what would you recomend would be the best way to learn & become a gunsmith who is capable of building every part of a rifle & assembling a custome peice of art?
I'm interested in gunsmithing. It facinates me. But, until now, I haven't had the time to pursue a hobby that I could eventually turn into a lifestyle. I'm 41 & my last child is only a few years away from heading off to college. It may sound silly, but I would love to have the know how & equipment to fix & build anything...from a custom bolt to a tack driving long range hunting system.
Any suggestions? I live in S. Louisiana & there are no specific gunsmithing schools near by.

Sell your soul first off.

2nd, get a job at the roughest "Job Shop" machine shop in your area. Work there 2-3 years to learn basic machining.

Then just start tinkerin. :)

I am actually looking into a Machinist course through the local Vocational School. I guess that would be a good start...

I have a rather sour taste for VoTech schools so you may want to filter some of what I have to say.

There's a saying. those who can do and those who can't, teach.

Given a choice between one/two instructors and a shop full of 20+ year veterans it's pretty cut and dry the direction to go.

The rub is the veterans aren't as apt to spill their guts overnight on how the best way to chew on a piece of stock is.

That being said, persistence and a good attitude go a long way.

It's how I started and given what I've interviewed/dealt with from "top schools" it'll be a real challenge to convince me otherwise. VoTechs have a nasty habit of filling a guys head with delusions of grandeur that just aren't realistic in todays world/economy.

Regardless, good luck and I wish you the best,

C

I totally understand your view. I doubt I could find a machine shop in my area that would allow me to go & learn from them. Besides, I have a pretty good head on my shoulders & enough common sense to filter out the BS. I have 2 brothers who are Mechanical Engineers & I still fix things quicker & better than they do & have a more common sense than the both of them put together...LOL
I just need to learn how to use the machinery. I'm pretty sure I could figure the rest out on my own.
Thanks for the input...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.