Learning to chamber

[QUOTE="birdiemc, post: 1597782, mem
It's not practical for me to take off a week and fly across the country for a gunsmithing course. And I have no community college opportunities nearby offering machinst or gunsmithing courses so I've decided to try the self taught method. I have no intention of becoming a gunsmith and working on other peoples rifles. I just like the thought of doing it all myself.[/QUOTE]
There are 4 NRA affiliated schools that run Summer Gunsmithing courses. There is Murry State in Oklahoma, Trinidad State Jr. College in Colorado, Lassen Community College in California and Montgomery Community College in North Carolina. All have "prerequisites" for admission into their threading/chambering classes. And, that would just be a threading/chambering/crowning class of a week long. A gunsmithing 'course' takes 2 yrs or longer. A lot gets 'crammed' into a 2yr course. Those who aren't real serious can easily get left behind with the required work.

+1 on the stock work. Took me way longer to fit and finish a black MPI stock than to do machining. I have the "Nack" for self learning and machining before I started gun work. I had to sell my small lathe and get a bigger one for guns. I recently looked at my local CC for machining classes and they are 4 nights a week for 4 hours a day for 3 months. Don't have time to do that and I already get great results.

You'll need to practice some how. You can find all you need on the interweb, book, and videos to get the job done. But it will take quite a while to learn the skills required if you are starting from scratch. You can order cheap barrel blanks and practice on those for not much cost. Reamers cost twice as much as cheap blanks.

If this sounds like something you want to do and money is no object, go for it.

I actually have an idea to build a stock with a carbon fiber chassis and wrap that in mesquite. I pulled apart my magpul hunter and checked it out, it's just a bunch of plastic bolted to an aluminum chassis. So I'm thinking why not do that but make it nice to look at too? Mesquite, because I'm a Texan and the 2 just kind of go together in my opinion. And by building it that way it should negate the stability factor of the wood I think...and if not all I'll have lost is time.

I hate to rain more on this parade.
What kind of floor does your shop have? If your shop does not have a good strong floor, Accuracy of the lathe to do gunsmith work will be hard to maintain. You may have to build a heavy reinforced concrete foundation for the lathe to set on, To get the accuracy required for gun smith work. May be more unplanned expense to this project.

My lathe and mill sit on my garage slab which I'm sure isn't any more than 4" thick and unreinforced. The lathe feet bear on the concrete with no bearing pads. I go through the whole leveling and aligning process before I chamber each time because I do see seasonal movement. I chamber so rarely that I go through all this just to make sure it is zeroed up properly. If I was doing this for a living, I would make sure the legs were anchored into the concrete and if given the opportunity, a 6" minimum slab. My lathe is just a 12x36 so only weights 1200 lbs.

i have not spent $8000 on my lathe and tooling.
i had a us navy submarine lathe course 2week/then 1 week
i actually did some work in a marine repair shop
i am good at mechanical stuff

in 2015 i built a 6 dasher for 600/1000 yd br. as luck would have it, as i was finishing it the nationals came close by and i signed up. 4 day event. my first 600 yard match , day one i was just over mid pack at 600 , day 2 i shot a little faster, but as i was still working i had to leave as soon as shooting was over. ends up i tied a 3 target national record and won by a decent margin.
folks there is no way to put a price on the personal satisfaction of winning a national championship with a rifle you built yourself.
if you can afford it, and like mechanical stuff, give it a shot

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.