Leaky primer pockets 300 win

JFriesen

Quick question for you gurus. I bought a large lot of once fired fc brass a few years ago. I have heck with primers leaking by. Maybe 1 out of 20. It's dangerous and I've already replaced one bolt face. Maybe old hot rod military loads? Should I just junk the whole box? I probably know the answer. I've tried a few different primers and they don't fall out or seem that extra easy to seat.

That go no go gauge looks great. I'll have to pick one up. Thinking I may just junk them. Had one do it tonight, first loading (for me) out of the box. I've got other brass to use. Just hate to waste it. But I hate hot gas in my face more.

R W Hart used to make a "Case Saver Swage Tool" but I think they have discontinued making them. MidwayUSA used to carry them, not it just says "Discontinued".

I bought one years ago but there was someone on here who used a ball bearing to "swage" the primer pockets so they would be tighter. It does work but will eventually have to either be redone or the brass scrapped. At that point I guess it depends on your patience or your "pocketbook". :)

You might be able to use the search function on here and find it. It was a while ago, maybe 5-10 yrs.

What primers did you reload with? I've got a box of Winchester WLRM's that leak and jet from around the primer very easily at way below max loads. It's very frustrating when I replace with CCI or Federal there are no problems. Also the Winchester primers are perfectly round no signs of excess pressure. I just think it's a bad batch.

Quick question for you gurus. I bought a large lot of once fired fc brass a few years ago. I have heck with primers leaking by. Maybe 1 out of 20. It's dangerous and I've already replaced one bolt face. Maybe old hot rod military loads? Should I just junk the whole box? I probably know the answer. I've tried a few different primers and they don't fall out or seem that extra easy to seat.
I have run into bad primers.The cups had tiny scratch marks from the draw.Some not all would leak.I ruins boltfaces.i contacted primer company, they were aware and would replace.Look at primers with a glass if scratched from draw die..don't use.
bill

They have been almost all wlrm primers but I know I had one do it with a cci 250 this winter. But that was with a pretty hot load.
I'll check the rest of those primers out. Think I've used up most of that brick.
I've never had Win, Hornady, or ppu brass do this. Have run those till neck spilts or case about to separate above the belt. I don't want to disparage fed brass when I don't know what the original load was that was in it.

They have been almost all wlrm primers but I know I had one do it with a cci 250 this winter. But that was with a pretty hot load.
I'll check the rest of those primers out. Think I've used up most of that brick.
I've never had Win, Hornady, or ppu brass do this. Have run those till neck spilts or case about to separate above the belt. I don't want to disparage fed brass when I don't know what the original load was that was in it.
Same primers I had problems with.W.is well aware...

If you can find some Sellier and Bellot LR primers you might get more safe service life from that brass as they are have a larger diameter than any other primer I have used including Wolf/Tula. However, the cost of repairing the bolt face is likely less than new brass...when you can find it.

You can also use the ball bearing/steel pin method to tighten up those pockets. Just make sure you have a pocket reamer in case you get a little heavy handed with the hammer.

I load FC brass. I bought a couple of thousand of demilled .270win .243win .308 brass 5 years ago. I clean them all, full length size and punch out the primer that comes with them. I load with CCI200 primers, They have never left me down and in my load I get 1/2 MOA at 225yds. Over that 5 years I have a test batch of forty 270 cases that I'm on the 10th loading with no case problems at all. Granted I'm not shooting a magnum, and my load is 51.2gr of IMR4350, so its not a particularly hot load. I understand that all cases are not created equal, but these Federals have been extremely consistent and reliable. And contrary to what has been stated here, I don't find them to be soft at all. They are all shot in the same rifle. I've found that the RP's and Lake City's that I've worked with seem to full length size with much less effort than the FC's which suggests to me that the FC's are harder, not softer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.