primer pockets

j_22250

What methods do you guys use to clean out the primer pockets? Also how much attention or preperation do you guys give to the flash hole?

Uniform and then just use a primer pocket cleaning tool to scrape the carbon off thereafter.

If need be, flash holes are deburred.

I have a RCBS case prep center and go through the motions on every case every time I load. I use a primer pocket uniformer and a inside flash hole deburer. I also use a VLD deburer for the neck and trim to length almost every time I load (it only takes a few more seconds per case). I think the primer pocket is a fairly important step in case preperation.

I neck size, trim, debur, and then uniform the flash hole. Then I toss brass in tumbler and let the media clean up the flash holes. This last time after about 3hrs. they still weren't clean, I got impatient and did it the old fashinon way. I know i'm gonna catch hell here and i guess i should punch pimmers tumble then do all the other stuff.

I shoot,tumble,deprime,resize,clean primer pockets,trim cases,tumble again,load, it takes a little while to do but I usually load 100 at a time so its really not that bad.

I use the primer pocket uniformer not only to square up the pocket but for all future cleaning. I don't use the wire brush cleaning device as it scratches the brass on the base of the cartridge.

Flash holes are only attended to once...in the beginning.

John

I used to do all the 'required' stuff, but the more time I spend on this board, the more I began to consider that for the large case sizes many of us are using to reach way out there and kill something big cleanly, much of the messing around with primer pockets and flash holes may not produce anything except just weakening about the most stressed/unsupported part of the case, the case head and perhaps directly furthering casehead expansion. After all, to perform these operations, aren't we removing structural material (however small amount) right where we need it the most? I have felt that my cases have lasted a bit longer and I've gotten a bit more pressure out of them lately when I've not done the BR steps of flashhole deburring and primer pocket uniforming. This might be much more necessary for typically smaller BR type brass? I think the consensus of many on this board is that for the large cases, those two operations may not be helpful. And, as stated above, I wonder how those operations might lead to premature casehead expansion as we remove structural material from the area that theoretically seems to need it most. Maybe I'm all wet here...

I'm fortunate enough to purchase my 300RUM brass from a location where I can paw through the bin and get cases that pass my visual inspection. I look for a round and centered flash hole and check that the manufacturers 'deburring' (seems to be a little chamfer on the inside of the case) on the inside of the case at the flash hole is uniform from case to case...among other things. Usually go through about 200 cases to find 50 that I like...

I used to do all the 'required' stuff, but the more time I spend on this board, the more I began to consider that for the large case sizes many of us are using to reach way out there and kill something big cleanly, much of the messing around with primer pockets and flash holes may not produce anything except just weakening about the most stressed/unsupported part of the case, the case head and perhaps directly furthering casehead expansion. After all, to perform these operations, aren't we removing structural material (however small amount) right where we need it the most? I have felt that my cases have lasted a bit longer and I've gotten a bit more pressure out of them lately when I've not done the BR steps of flashhole deburring and primer pocket uniforming. This might be much more necessary for typically smaller BR type brass? I think the consensus of many on this board is that for the large cases, those two operations may not be helpful. And, as stated above, I wonder how those operations might lead to premature casehead expansion as we remove structural material from the area that theoretically seems to need it most. Maybe I'm all wet here...

I'm fortunate enough to purchase my 300RUM brass from a location where I can paw through the bin and get cases that pass my visual inspection. I look for a round and centered flash hole and check that the manufacturers 'deburring' (seems to be a little chamfer on the inside of the case) on the inside of the case at the flash hole is uniform from case to case...among other things. Usually go through about 200 cases to find 50 that I like...

I have to disagree with that. You are taking away a little bit of brass, but it is advantagious to clean and true up primer pockets for accuracy. If your brass is getting so week that the little bit of material you are removing is going to cause a blow, then you shouldn't be using it anymore IMO.

I do flash holes w new brass only. After firing, I deprime, tumble clean, clean primer pockets with uniformer then size.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.