Late season Cow with new G-7

D.Camilleri

Well, Gunwerks had a sale last week on their G-7 range finder and when I asked my wife if I could buy one she reluctantly told me ok. Now I just have to listen to all of the snide remarks about how much money I spent on a range finder etc.

Anyway, I received my range finder from Gunwerks Tuesday afternoon on ups and they already had it programmed for my favorite loads. It was nice that they are only 40 miles away and got it to me in a hurry. After playing with it for about 30 minutes, I took it on a cow elk hunt Weds morning. We spotted a heard of elk right off the bat and had a potential shot at about 750 yards, but they were in an area I hadn't hunted before and I wasn't sure about property boundaries or how we would recover the animal, so we opted to not take the shot. Later I figured they were on blm and we could have gotten pretty close to get them out. We took a ride on our atv's equipped with tracks to navigate through the snow drifts and went in search of more elk on the private ranch we had permission to hunt. A couple of miles in and I spotted several groups of elk. I made my way to a high ridge and started ranging the different groups of elk. The closest bunch was 688 yards, the G-7 gave me a quick solution of 13.7 moa. I laid down, set up the bi pod, and dialed my scope. The wind was blowing pretty good but we thought it was straight in our face, (off a little on the call) the battery had gone dead in my wind meter, so it didn't help. I let fly with the 300 grain berger and my buddy called the shot, HIT. The cow went down, but then got back up and took off running with the rest of the small herd. I couldn't tell which elk was hit, so I just kept watching and then after about 100 yards, one cow stopped, started wobbling and dropped out of sight. It will probably cost me a lot of items due to you got an expensive range finder tongue lashing, but I think it is worth it. Not having to mess with a smart phone, or pda is well worth it in my book.

Attachments

• 20141203_104535.jpg
    20141203_104535.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2014120395134049.jpg
    2014120395134049.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 117
Congratulations. I think the G7, while a large chunk of change, was one of the best investments I have made that has contributed to my LR hunting success. This was my third season with mine. I have taken well over dozen deer, antelope, and varmints at long range in just about every kind of ranging condition you could subject to. Hats off to Gunwerks!

Love hearing this story. I had a hard time pulling the trigger on buying my g7, after first time you use it and in seconds on target. The first hit makes ya smile and say "definitely worth it" lol.

Congratulations. I think the G7, while a large chunk of change, was one of the best investments I have made that has contributed to my LR hunting success. This was my third season with mine. I have taken well over dozen deer, antelope, and varmints at long range in just about every kind of ranging condition you could subject to. Hats off to Gunwerks!

Though I've not used mine as much as Greyfox, I'm on my third season with a G7 and feel the same.

Jack

I just bought mine in the same sale. Just explain to your lovely lady that this single purchase has allowed you to avoid (don't tell her you already have all these) buying a high-end ranging unit, high-end weather station, and pocket sized ballistic calculator as separate expenses. And if that doesn't work, get her something shiny...

Some advice;

Never tell your wife how much something cost, and hope that when you pass away
she doesn't sell everything for what you told her it cost. (Just kidding). Wife's have trouble processing the cost of some things that we want, but can drop $1500.00 on something that may last 4 or 5 years and after 10 min. be worth 1/2 of what you paid.

I had the same problem with the cost of the G7 (it cost more than most of my scopes)
but when you consider the cost of some trips, the cost seems minimal especially if it is successful.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

J E CUSTOM

Yeah, this is all kind of funny and I should share the rest of the purchase story. My friend at work forwarded me an email showing the 200.00 off price. My wife had been emailing him asking him what she should get me for xmas. So he forwarded the link to me and then I sent it to her. Then I got notification on my own email from gunwerks about the same special, so I forwarded that email to her also. Next was sit and wait. Never a word. On Friday after TG she wanted me to drive her to Cody to go shopping, so I blurted out, so does that mean we can stop by Gunwerks in Burlington and get my rangefinder? Her response was who am I to stand in the way of you getting something you really want? So we stopped and guess what, they were closed for black Friday. Thank god for smart phones, because I ordered it anyway from the restaurant that I bought her lunch at. It is kind of a hard pill to swallow since the rangefinder cost almost as much as my two other major purchases of the year, a new riding mower for my wife and a new log splitter for me, but those both involve work and this was for fun. So it looks like my part time business selling tires will have to pay for the rangefinder, but what the heck, I really do like it mainly because of the time it saves on what could be a trophy of a lifetime hopefully coming in the next few years. In the mean time, I have to decide whether I should buy one more elk license for more practice. Now I better get off my butt and go process the meat from the last elk.

The G7 is on my list but also been thinking about a set of tracks for the quad. What kind are you using and what do you think of them?

I bought Camoplast tracks back in Feb of this year and I love them. Camoplast allows sizing the tracks to the engine size based on sprocket size. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten one sprocket size smaller to help compensate for the altitude I ride at. The tracks work the engine pretty hard, sometimes I change the oil after two or three outings because it begins to break down. Overall, the tracks are a blast. You can get a little more info at trackshare.net.

Congratulations on the cow hunt. I wish I would have known about the sale on the G7.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.