Last Day Buck

Nape.270

Well, it was the last day of Eastern Washingtion Whitetail season I had just woke up and looked out the window it was foged in like a mother trucker, so I got ready and waited for my buddy to pick me up. I got in the truck and he said I hope the fog doesnt stay. I said me to. We were off, we had just pulled off the main road and about 100yds in the fog was gone I looked at my buddy and said "best day ever." We got to our spot and had been sitting there for about 20min when I heard a truck pull up behind are truck. About 10 more min went by and then BOOM! it wasent me or my buddy so we headed back to the truck and just around the corner there was another truck and to guys gutting a buck. It was our other two frends. They had pulled up behind our truck, cracked the window, blew there buck grunt out the window and this 3 point came down the hill . . . one of them stepped out of the truck and boom the deer ran to the road and died ***!!!

So it being the last day I was thinking that they had just killed the last buck on the mountain but never the less I was still going to hunt. So we headed to the back half of the mountian and walked in about an 1/8 mile and sat down. About 20 min had went by when I started to hear some sticks braking. I thought it was the doe I had seen a few minuets earler heading up the hill. Further up he hill about 300yrds I saw another doe, so I put my rifle on my pull cats, then another doe came out they were working their way across this 50 foot opening on the hill.
When out of the trees with his head down came this guy. I held my 300 yrd mark on him, as he stoped for a split second I touched one off. He was still moving like I hadn't even touched him so I racked the bolt on my winchester m70 and shot again. Then he disappeared into the trees.gun)

I walked around the old skid road and up the steep hill to where I had seen him last. There he was. I hooped and hollered. It was the Best Day Ever!!:D

I shot him with my M70 in .270Win 130gr Barnes TTSX out at 3100fps.
the first shot hit him just above the hart the other back a few inches.

hunting08003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice buck, good for you! Nice to be able to hunt this far into winter (although must say it doesn't look too cold there). We've been dreaming about "next year land" since the end of November up here.

Cheers

Thanks Guys.

Been day dreaming about next year ever since.

You wont find a better hat than that for hunting in cold weather.

I could be buck naked in 45 degree weather and still be nice and toste in that bad boy lol. :D

Last edited:
send me an email at [email protected] and i can show you the picture i dont know why it wont come up on here.
On the last day of the season my son and i were heading back to camp when grampa stopped and poionted out four bucks siloueteed about 900 yards away my range finder should be good up to a 1000 but really any thing over 900 it reads --- and it drives me crazy but its what ive got so we sat looking at them for acouple of minutes when my son says' you can hit that dad cant you so i start to dail up the scope and check mass to the range reticals and they dont seam that far we put a stock on them and my son who is 6 thinks that were indians and that we need to be realy quiet and when i ranged them the second time they were 829 yards so using my backpack as a tripod i shot and then we sat there and glassed for a while when my dad got to me he thought that i missed and that i should have shot again before they disapeared but i knew that he whent down so leaving my son with grampa i started walking and after a little bit i found were he was standing when i shot there was blood splatter but no deer so i yelled down that this is were he was and that i hit him and about 10 yards down hill i found him held up by sage brush it was the first deer that my son and i had shot together and he keeps the picture in his room he was taken with a 130 gr sierra bt with reloader 19 at 55.2 grns of powder and 6 clicks up, and nothing for wind and the shot removed the hart for me. i almost forgot i shoot a nate .270 with a 28 in bull barrel.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.