Last Years Buck

BoydHeaton

Spent all two weeks last year hunting one buck. Only saw him once last year on Thanksgiving morning chasing does. Spent all season with 4 other people and over 30,000 dollars worth of bigeyes,guns and rangefinders hunting this buck. The last sat at 11:30 am the breakfast I had that morning was working on me so I grabbed my Kevin Wyatt built 300wsm carry gun and a roll of toilet paper and began the walk of shame toward the fence row 200 yards behind us. Half way there I spot a deer feeding with its head down facing away from me on the far side of the row. When he picked his head up I saw it was a nice respectable buck. I was not going to shoot him because I still had some time to find THE buck I had hunted all season for. I watched him for a minute, and when he took a step my mind was made up. I could clearly see his left front leg was badly broken. I threw out the bipod and got prone in a foot of snow. Picked a hole through the fence row and fired. Down he went. Upon getting to him it appeared he was stuck by a car and his lower leg and shoulder were both broken.. I went back and glassed the spot the next morning and low and behold, there was MY buck feeding at 700 yards in a cut corn field... And he was laughing at me!!! If I see him this year I will be the one laughinggun)

Attachments

• boydbuck.jpg
    boydbuck.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 105
That's a decent deer. I'm in a state with the "it's brown,it's down" mentality. I try to manage my property for 3.5 year old bucks, which is hard with neighbors that have no mercy for antlered deer. Last year I only saw one buck in rifle season that was 3.5 years old and it was on my last day so I let it fly. It's nothing spectacular barely a 9 point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 83
That's a decent deer. I'm in a state with the "it's brown,it's down" mentality. I try to manage my property for 3.5 year old bucks, which is hard with neighbors that have no mercy for antlered deer. Last year I only saw one buck in rifle season that was 3.5 years old and it was on my last day so I let it fly. It's nothing spectacular barely a 9 point.
Nothing wrong with that buck..Ive hunted WV a few times and saw only a few bigger than that one

Thanks. I've had some nice ones over the years. And there were big bucks there last year. Unfortunately the acorns hit so hard that the deer did not move at all in rifle season. They literally laid in one spot all day and hid with plenty of food laying with in feet of them. I watched several do it. Here is one that a neighbor ended up killing. This pic is under my tree stand the week before gun season while I was at work. I wanted to take off that day to hunt that stand and my bro said we had too much work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.