Laser Range Finders - rate them....

Had a bushnell yardage pro sport and the thing quit giving consistant readings after about a year. It still looks brand new...And I always treated it with great care.
Just bought a LRF 900 & has been great so far...but like anything time will tell.
I do like the guarantee that comes with the LRF though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You get what you pay for!

Thanks to everyone who commented and voted. For a while you almost had me convinced that I should sell a rifle and go with a Swarovski... but the votes for the Leica have pretty much sorted that out. Although I'm now having doubts about the workable range with bright sunlight and the absence of rain / moisture where and when we hunt here in South Africa. Hunting season is the driest season.

Thanks again.

WL

I went through this decision of buying a RF recently. I used a couple different Bushnells and tried a Nikon and Leica in stores. I finally decided with all of the good things I had been hearing, the long range abilities and the good optics allowing me to use it instead of binoculars when bowhunting, to go with the Swaro. I have had a chance to put it through its paces a bit over the last week and I am more impressed than I thought I would be. Trying to set up a spot for a 1000 yd range, I was able to get very consistent readings on treelines and other rough surfaces at ranges a bit below and over 1000 yds. Also, I have been able to get it to give me consistent ranges off of a water tower 1850 yds away. If I am steady, it will give a reading almost every time. I would like to see if I can get to 2000 but haven't tried yet.

I will second what Meister said above about the Leica BRF 10x42's. I carried swarovski bino's and the bushnell 1000 for everal years and when it was time for an upgrade on the rangefinder I sprung for the BRF's and never looked back. Yes they were 1500 bucks, but I feel they are one of the most used hunting items I have.

My wife was happy also since her washer broke a while after that and she reminded me that buying the best the first time around is usually better than upgrading later. I didn't exactly see it that way about the washer but she got her way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey LRHWAL,

I think I got your site handle right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif what do it mean ?

Anyway my favorite laser range finder is the Leica 10/15 x50 duovid Brf . It is marvelous ! 10x for initial acquisition then " click " instant 15 power with no refocusing and then a light touch of the laser fire button and ....VOILA , a perfect read out to 1800 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh geez, I'm doing it again , Roy warned me about this .........gotta take my Zanax ( gol durn it Roy , what is this stuf anyway ?

Sorry Wim , it has come a ice and snow storm here so I'm pretty much succumbing to cabin fever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif can't even go shoot some snow flies till the roads get some snow on top of the ice .

Really , if Leica made one of those brfs I would and many others I know would be all ovwer them, meanwhile I use the Swaros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.