swarovski laser range finder

pressman

I got a 8 X 30 laser guide range finder last week on the ranger finder itself it says LG class 1 laser product I was shooting some trees today off my deck and the most I could get is 845 yards i tried to get a cow but it would not read it. the cow was about 1200 yrds. IS THIS Normal???? I figured it should have ranged that cow. any help would be great.

Were you using it hand held???

What was the sun like? Brighter sun can make it harder for a laser at longer ranges.

It needs to be rock stead for best results at long range, whether that's on a tripod or some way to rest/hold it as steady as possible.

pressman,
I can't hold mine steady enough offhand to get a reading past 600 yards. I built a bracket and attached it to my big eyes with a mini ball head to hold my rangefinder. ss7mm is correct on mentioning about the sun. A bright sunny day is the worst for a laser. I've gotten readings on an overcast day out to 1800 yards. Also make sure your not trying to shoot through some brush or limbs, it must be a clear line of sight. Give us some more details and we should be able to tell you if it might be something your doing or a problem with the laser.

The Swarovski should range to 1000 meters or a little more in the brightest sun and in the desert, at least mine will. In good conditions I have range Elk to a little 0ver 1800 yards

yes it was very sunny and i was holding not very still with my hand. but i did get it to read the base of a huge tree at 875 yards. so I will try it again with a bipod to see how that works thanks guys.

I'm kinda surprised you have to hold it that steady. I have a newcon 2000 pro that I've read the back of a semi at 1790 yards hand held, trees generaly 12-1300 yards, cows 8-950 yards, houses up to 1300 yards- all hand held and in bright sun. The longest reading 2009 yards was resting on an overpass railing and targeting a stoplight just after dark. I never use a tripod with mine. Maybe a tripod would improve the readings?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.