Laser Range Finders - rate them....

LRHWAL

I'm in the market for a rangefinder. I was always under the impression that the Leica 1200 was the cats whiskers, but after reading about problems and chatting to some guys here I'm not so sure anymore.

Jon had a lot of good things to say about the Nikon 1200 (which is also priced a lot keener).

So, here's a poll to help me out with my decision. Thanks for your votes and any comments - good or bad - on any of the products. I've not included all of the brands, just what I've been looking at.

Thanks.

Wim
RSA

You left out the one that is probably the best of the bunch...Swarovski's new one.

I'll tell you which brand is not my favorite. The Bushnell yardage pro 1000. It should honestly be called the YP 500. I own one and it barely meets my needs. The only plus to it is that with my .308 it stops reading deer at about the max range I would shoot one so it is sort of self imposed voice of reason. But when it comes to rockchucks at 800 or 1000 yards it is severly lacking.

2 cents.

I voted for "Other" as swaro wasn't in the list. I have a Leica 1200 which is head and shoulders above the other's I have tried. But it leaves me not shooting every once in a while as I can't get a reading even with new batteries. When there is frost or wet, not raining, it is infallable to beyond 1100 yds. Think the Swaro is better though, from what I've heard.

As others have noted "you left out the Swarovski".

I used to own a LRF 1200, until I got my hands on a Swaro. Of the ones listed the LRF 1200 is the best (in my opinion), but it is a DISTANT (no pun intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) second to the Swaro.

Im also in the market for a new rangefinder. I have the nikon monarch 800. It met my needs for a while, but for shooting with my 300 RUM, I sometimes find myself needing one of the 1200 models, or the swaro 1500 would be nice. I have gotten reading to 900 on rocks and elk with my nikon 800, but that was in good conditions. There have been times when I have tried to range a coyote in a bare wheat field on a nice sunny day and I know **** well he wasn't over 500 but the nikon wouldn't pick it up. I went to sportsmans the other day and the guy behind the counter tried telling me the bushnell elite 1500 would get deer and elk at 1500. I just looked at him and said, naw I dont like bushnell. I wanted to see if they had the new leupold, but they didn't. I see they have the nikon 1200, leica 1200, and swaro 1500. I looked through them all at the store and the swaro is so much brighter I almost think you could double them up as a pair of binocs. ANyone else think that?? The leica is nice as well, but if the nikon 1200 will do what the leica 1200 does, for $200 less, I would go that route. When I have the money, I want to take all 3 of them outside the store and do some long distance testing. I told the guy I shoot over 1000 yards with my 300 RUM so i needed something that would reliably range at least 1000 yards, whether it be a coyote, deer, elk or a rock. He kinda looked at me like I was crazy, but oh well.

The first Leica 1200 Scan I bought worked perfectly . The Swaro LG8X30 is better "IF" it works . It took me 3 units before I got one that worked properly , and I have heard similar results from two other users . There are no repair facilities for the Swaro. in the USA ....they just send you another new one ....but I don't like paying that amount and them having to run Reliability tests for myself . That being said , I would not sell the Swaro. I have now for $1500 !

Thanks everyone.

I left out the Swaro as they aren't in my price range here so didn't fit under "the ones I'm looking at", however I have heard a lot of good things about them and figured they would be voted under "other". In retrospect that was probably a dumb idea from getting decent poll results.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Wim

I don't know any about the RF but the people at the optic zone are fantastic to deal with. Helpfull and friendly with some great prices.

I realize the Geovid 10 powers are out of your budget, but it does cut down on gear, binocs and rangefinder all in one. I use them on coyotes and pdogs when I'm out west. Nothing works better for scanning and observing at the same time.

Only one I own is a Nikon 440, I bought for bowhunting. It'll read off a deer or elk out to 500.

I'm impatiently awaiting leupolds new rx's. True ballistic range. Factors incline for you. Four and Five hundred dollars for the 1200 and 1500 yard models. In the Cabelas catalogue. Not on the shelves yet.

[ QUOTE ]
As others have noted "you left out the Swarovski".

I used to own a LRF 1200, until I got my hands on a Swaro. Of the ones listed the LRF 1200 is the best (in my opinion), but it is a DISTANT (no pun intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) second to the Swaro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.