lapua vs jamison

steeltraps

Was going to buy some more brass for 338 lapua. Which do you guys think is better for hot loading jamisons or lapua. I have 200 lapua and was thinking about trying some jamisons brass. Just wanted to know if jamisons 338 lapua brass was anny good!gun)

But if I were you I'd just stick with lapua. I've never used Jamison but I know a lot of people say it's not as strong as lapua. Kirby Allen has used both lapua and Jamison in his wildcats so hopefully he will chime in here for you.

I think you are right about jamison closing. I can buy 200 virgin 338 lapua jamisons from a friend> My question is are they better than lapua because i want to fireform them to 338 imp. in my new barrel. Im getting 2820 fps in 26 in factory barrel, so im hoping for 2950 fps with 338 lapua imp with same 300 gr otms. Just wondering if jamisons will be better?

One should never confuse Jamison brass with quality brass such as Lapua!

If your intended purpose of the rifle is extreme accuracy, then I strongly suggest you use Lapua brass. If your just wanting to pull, pray, then throw away, then by all means use the Jamison stuff.

Thanks, i just was told that jamison was good brass. I guess i should not be listening to the guy thats trying to sell me the jamisons brass!:) Instead i will take advice from you guys that know !! Thanks for the advice guys! I really apprecitate it! I will stick to LAPUA !gun)

Well after using Lapua brass in my 338 LM, it should say something about the brass when part of my solution for picking a new rifle is partly based on if Lapua makes brass for it!

If you are shooting a standard 338 Lapua and treat it well. You will need a barrel before you use up 200 pieces of Lapua brass. Never hurts to have spare components, but you should get 12 to 16 firings with a strong load and 300 gr bullets. That is if you anneal and use dies that don't over size.

Jeff

I am running 300 gr bullets at 2820 fps. I got them up to 2860 fps but had some light ejector marks in 70 degree weather so i backed them down> this is with 26 inch barrel . I have a 9.3 bartlein in closet that i will but on rifle in febuary, it will be 28 in and chambered in 338 lapua imp..> I am hoping for 2900 fps good accuracy and easier on my lapua brass. 100 of the 200 i mentioned of the lapua is new. I have 5 firings on the other 100. I wanted to save the virgin 338 lapua to fireform to 338 lapua imp. I use harrells dies and only neck size right now, thinking about buying or building a large anneal machine come spring>

3k sounds really good! Im sitting on 3 of the 8 lbs cans of h-1000. So far it has given me tighter es threw the chrono than Retumbo, RL-25, h4831sc,or rl-33. I may try to trade for some vv570 just to see whan new barrell likes when i get it put on! If its warmer tomorrow im going to shoot some 300 otm bergers at 2000- 2200 yards tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.>chrisgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.