Lapua Scenar ballistics in a hunting round?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Brian564, May 17, 2015.

1. Brian564

Brian564 Active Member

Talking about 338 Lapua Magnum. Lapua Scenar 250g seems to have outstanding ballistics in terms of flat shooting and energy retention, in addition to the legendary accuracy. Being a target round I don't believe it would for hunting though, so I am looking for advice on rounds with similar (or close) ballistics and accuracy that has proper expansion for hunting. Thank you.

2. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

3. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

Here in Norway, several serious long - range guys are using the (250gr.) Lapua Scenar for hunting. They seem to be very pleased with the results. You should give it a try.

4. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Well-Known Member

If there is one thing I've heard time and time again is that the berger hunting bullets are not up to par with thin jackets and their target bullets are far better for hunting with thicker jackets.

5. trickytune

trickytune Well-Known Member

Thats probably due to impact velocity too high. Matching your bullet to intended game / impact velocity. The thicker jackets of the target bullets are probably not as good at close range on soft animals.