Terminal ballistics of Lapua Scenar?

whitetail

Hello!
The question is told by the topic. Has anyone here shot deer or elk with 250grain Scenar -bullet in caliber .338WM or LM?
I guess the terminal effects of 250grain Sierra Match King are quite identical with Scenar since the structure of these bullets is very similar. So tell me what happens when this kind of bullet hits living tissue in different velocities(800m/s-400m/s). If someone has pictures, please share them also.

Whitetail,
Do a search and check out my post of "buck @406 doe @689" from a few weeks back. You will see a pic of a whitetail doe shot at 689yds with a 338, 250grn SMK. I have shot other whitetails at lesser ranges as well. "Bang, flop, dead." As for Lapua Scenar, I have shot them, but have never shot any game with them. They shoot well in my rifle(s) and seem to perform about the same as the SMKs, but the SMKs are much less expensive!

Thank you RDM416..
..and congratulations, very nice shot. I think I´ll try scenar. It´s made in my home country and thus it is only a bit more expensive here than the SMK. Originally, scenar is not a game bullet so it is not designed to expand (altough hollow point makes it illegal to be used in military role according to Geneva convention).
More experiences are still wellcome..

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the terminal effects of 250grain Sierra Match King are quite identical with Scenar since the structure of these bullets is very similar

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they have quite different designs. The MK's have a very small cavity underneath the hollow point and the Scenars have a huge cavity. Also, the lead core inside is shaped differently on top in the Scenar. For what this shape is for I haven't quite figured out but it is notable.
Here is a pic I took after sawing the MK, Scenar, and Accubond in half:
3bullets.jpg

Also, obviously I haven't measured every caliber and weight of either bullet, but on the 338 caliber, <font color="blue"> the Scenar puts the MK to shame in every category of consistency. </font> They are better in weight, better in length, and better in meplat flatness. I have measured countless types of bullets throught the years and can honestly tell you that the 250 grain .338 Scenar is the best bullet I have ever measured from lot to lot.

As for how they perform on game, I have never shot a big game animal with either but I will be soon. I will be putting the 300 grain MK to the ultimate test in a few days, and the Scenar will be sinking into critter in a couple months. I will be sure to share with you my findings.

Have a good one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you goodgrouper!
I wasn´t aware of that difference in nose cavity between SMK and Scenar.. Looking to the picture i´d like to think that Scenar expands much better in impact. It´s just that I have experienced that long, boat-tailed bullets often tend to fall into wild twist when they meet flesh and thus the final result is not well predictable. If Scenar really opens up, it might run straighter and "smoother" trough the animal than other bullets of that kind. Very interesting, this needs field-testing..

Good shooting there and keep me informed!

My scenar experience on '3D' targets is limited to the following observation that I made a while back on a different thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Encouraged by the SMK reports that I read when I first discovered this board, I experimented by shooting an unopened tin of tomatoes at 200m with a 167 lapua scenar out of a 308.

Expected an explosion; nothing happened.

Thought I'd missed.

However, it was drilled dead centre

Next time I'm attacked by tinned tomatoes, scenars will not be my projectile of choice

Each to his own I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

GG, i'm assuming that's a 300 smk and a 250 scenar shown in cross cut above and a 250 smk would be a shortened version of the 300? great pics.

i know a fellow that shot a few Pa. whitetails with a 33/300rum using 250 scenars this year. longest shot was only 600 but very good wound channels on each.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.