Lapua or lapua Palma?

Goobie270

I'm going to start reloading a 308 and need to know the better one, I know the Palma brass has a smaller flash hole, but does it make a difference in accuracy and better velocity. Is there a difference in loading between the two as far as more or less powder? Please tell me all the differences and gains. Thanks

What are you going to use it for? If it's for hunting then I'd get the regular (large rifle primer) brass for more consistent ignition in colder weather.

Oh yes, I plan on shooting out to 1000 yards.

Target shooting or hunting?

The reason the palma brass was produced is because target shooters sometimes run some pretty high pressures and the case heads are stronger with the small rifle primers. The small primers mean more brass in the case head so it's stronger and the primer pockets will stay tight longer if you're running very high pressures. That doesn't mean the standard large rifle primer cases are weak, just that if you're really going to be leaning on it then you might want to consider the palma cases. There is also the feeling that sometimes the small rifle primers will result in lower extreme spreads in velocity. The flip side of that is that in colder temperatures the small rifle primers might not give consistent ignition, there's not as much primer compound in them. That's probably not a factor in most target matches which are shot in good weather, but it can be to a hunter that hunts in cold weather. Small rifle primers are typically used in cases with much less powder capacity than the .308 and the thought process is that a large rifle primer is better for igniting the .308 size powder charges under most conditions. Some ball powders are hard to ignite also so it's not advisable to use them with the small rifle primers, therefore the palma cases also somewhat limit your powder choices.

The bottom line is that unless you have a really good reason to need the palma cases, like you're a competitive target shooter and that's all you do with them, then you're better off using the standard large rifle primer cases.

Target shooting or hunting?

The reason the palma brass was produced is because target shooters sometimes run some pretty high pressures and the case heads are stronger with the small rifle primers. The small primers mean more brass in the case head so it's stronger and will take more pressure than the large rifle primer cases. That doesn't mean the standard large rifle primer cases are weak, just that if you're really going to be leaning on it then you might want to consider the palma cases. There is also the feeling that sometimes the small rifle primers will result in lower extreme spreads in velocity. The flip side of that is that in colder temperatures the small rifle primers might not give consistent ignition, there's not as much primer compound in them. That's probably not a factor in most target matches which are shot in good weather, but it can be to a hunter that hunts in cold weather. Small rifle primers are typically used in cases with much less powder capacity than the .308 and the thought process is that a large rifle primer is better for igniting the .308 size powder charges under most conditions.

The bottom line is that unless you have a really good reason to need the palma cases, like you're a competitive target shooter and that's all you do with them, then you're better off using the standard large rifle primer cases.

I plan on target shooting, I always chase consistency in reloading, even go to the extreme for hunting rounds. As far as changing reloading from standard to pulma brass, is there anything that changes as far as powder amounts and changes in velocity because of the small primer.

I have heard that the firing pin might pierce the small primer, I'm using it in a remington mil spec and it's all stock as or now, and also you need to change the decamping pin in your dies?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.