help please lapua palma brass

trgtsnpr

i just bought 500 i figure the flash hole would be .069like most small primer flash holes there .059 should i leave them alone or open them to .062 during prep please lelp me out thanks bill

Last edited:
Considering what you must have paid for some of the best brass on the marked, I wouldn't make any changes in the flash hole size. If a larger hole performed better Lapua would have punched a bigger hole. I'm one who subscribes to the "smaller hole = longer flame" theory which (IMO) translates to more even ignition.

As long as you don't have a problem with your decapping pin getting stuck in the flash hole, I would leave them alone. Lapua is some of the best made brass out there and the holes should be very consistent. More people seem to have better luck with any of the small flash hole brass by just leaving the flash hole alone.

trgtsnpr,
Just to add to Corey's post. IF your decapping pin is getting stuck on the flash holes like he mentioned . The ONLY tool to use to ream out the flash hole is the Sinclair Part number 749-005-418 SV. This is the tool recommended and used by benchrest shooters if they have the sticking decap-pin issue.

i use to work in a machine shop so i have the reamer set finished 100 pcs today thanks bill

I would leave them alone, but it seems you've already started.

Lapua drilled them that size for a reason (better flame properties and higher pressure tolerance). I wouldn't pay Lapua prices then go screwing up the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.