Lapua 308 palma brass for 260?

I am pretty sure that the case heads are going to be tougher because there is more material there, kinda like 6.5x47 and 6BR brass. I have been told not to try it because the small rifle primer even cci450s were not hot enough......I do not buy it. I have never had ignition problems with the 6x47 using 41 grs of powder, I do not think 5 or more grains is gonna cause a problem. I just have not gotten around to trying it, but it sounds great in theory.

Quick review of history here, guys. The small primer 308 isn't a new idea, or one that we came up with. Remington's UBBR brass of the late 70s-early 80's vintage was the same format, a 308 case with a small primer pocket. Lots of XC and LR shooters tried this brass since it had capacity similar to the legendary WCC 58 cases. Most worked fine, some folks ran into misfires, depending on what powders were being used, ambient air temps, or a combination of factors. Bottom line is, the 30 size case is at the outer limits of what a small rifle primer will reliably fire. Throw in difficult to ignite powders, low temps or a light firing pin blow, and you'll get hangfires or outright misfires. The Palma cases were intended for competitive shooting (which usually means warm weather) with well built competitive rifles in good condition, and using loads with relatively fast (Varget, RL-15, etc) powders. Haven't heard any complaints about ignition troubles used within these confines, but we do actively caution against using these cases for hunting type applications.

If you want to give it a try, that's fine. However, I doubt you'll see that much of a gain in case longevity (if that's what you're after), or accuracy in hunting type loads. That, and you WILL be flirting with misfires. Your call, but I'd think it over carefully before necking down a bunch to 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts