Lapped with JB test

If you're not absolutely stuck on the 210s try the berger 200.20 or the new 205 gr. I was able to get 2950 with an es of 9 with H1000. The BC is actually higher than the 210s and they kill elk very well.

You're doing more harm than good. Is this barrel copper fouling bad? Just shoot the thing and see if it speeds up. Some barrels take more than others to speed up. Are you loading a max load and seeing pressure and getting slow speeds? Just because someone else got 3000 with the same powder charge or your old barrel was faster doesn't mean you'll have the same results. Slow barrels are a real thing, but trying to lap it yourself to speed it up isn't going to significantly help. My cousin has a 300 WSM and 2830FPS is what we got with around 68gr of RL26 and a 208gr ELD. I don't think your results are that far off what should be expected.

I'm sure I'll get some opposition, but lapping a barrel can harm it if you don't have the proper tools or know the proper techniques to do so. The crown and throat/chamber would be the major things I would worry about damaging when trying to lap a barrel that's already fitted and finished. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to help prevent anymore problems from happening.
Dont lap the barrel need about 100 rds should speed up mine pretty fast 168 berger with h1000

2830fps with 210's is slow to you guys? My first 25 out of my Rock Creek were running around 2750fps at max using h4831. Might have to get some RL26....what oal are you running?

You're doing more harm than good. Is this barrel copper fouling bad? Just shoot the thing and see if it speeds up. Some barrels take more than others to speed up. Are you loading a max load and seeing pressure and getting slow speeds? Just because someone else got 3000 with the same powder charge or your old barrel was faster doesn't mean you'll have the same results. Slow barrels are a real thing, but trying to lap it yourself to speed it up isn't going to significantly help. My cousin has a 300 WSM and 2830FPS is what we got with around 68gr of RL26 and a 208gr ELD. I don't think your results are that far off what should be expected.

I'm sure I'll get some opposition, but lapping a barrel can harm it if you don't have the proper tools or know the proper techniques to do so. The crown and throat/chamber would be the major things I would worry about damaging when trying to lap a barrel that's already fitted and finished. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to help prevent anymore problems from happening.

+1 Amen.

I have a 300wsm that seems to be a little slow. I shot 210vld with 69 r26. Thinking I might have a rough bore, I used JB bore paste to try and lap with 20 strokes of a jag and tight patch. Mixed JB paste with transmission fluid and sure cleaned the bore.
Before:
View attachment 192253

After
View attachment 192254

Next up is pouring a slug and lapping to see what happens with speeds
JB is not realy a lapping compound I always cleaned my bench rest rifle with it and kroil oil in the past

I know this is a little off topic but is anyone loading lighter bullets in the 300wsm with RL-26? Such as the 168gr or 180gr VLD's? If so, whats a good starting load? Cant seem to find data using RL-26 for the 300wsm. Thanks

I don't think you will get anymore speed out of a 210GR. Bullet in a 300 WSM i have 3 of them if you want a good round i would use a 180 AB Nosler that's what i found do the best in my rifles or 180 Berger ELD. Hunting

Smart advice....

I know this is a little off topic but is anyone loading lighter bullets in the 300wsm with RL-26? Such as the 168gr or 180gr VLD's? If so, whats a good starting load? Cant seem to find data using RL-26 for the 300wsm. Thanks

IME RL 26 is too slow with 180s and down in 300 WM. RL 25, W780, 4350, 4831, RL 22 all work well.

I shoot RL 22 w/165 Accubonds. 1 MOA, 3000 fps and kills well !

sheep2017.jpg

I use a modern rifle.

R1right.JPG

What others are you comparing to? Seems like everyone else is in the same ballpark for velocity as you are. If you want more then build a bigger gun, don't push yours or mess it up trying to make it what it's not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.